Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
being that the crank is not as well lubed, and even has more wear (im assuming there are rods up to a cam) would that not wear out quicker than both a 2 stroke and full on 4 stroke?
You are a 100% right .I been saying this all a long. I have a trimmer that is a 2002 that runs good and has full engine compression .
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As for fuel treatments, I simply use fuel that doesnt need treated. I get fuel for my small engines at the local municipal airport. It is labeled as 100LL, 100VLL or AvGas. Its 100 octane leaded fuel, so you cant use it if you have equipment with cats or o2 sensors. It doesn't make any more power, and it wont melt a piston or what ever catastrophic failure you may have heard. But it has a shelf life of over 2 years, and has no ethanol. You may have to change or clean a spark plug once a season due to lead fouling, but thats it. At the end of the season, I fill the tanks and put them up for the winter. No need to run dry, or add anything. In the spring, they fire right up. Been doing this for years and NEVER had to rebuild of my carbs. But I have had to rebuild alot of other ones.

Most airports have it at a 24/7 self serve pump on the tarmac. I simply park near by and walk up with my gas cans. Another option for ethanol free fuel is to call local marinas. Many of them are carrying non ethanol 89 as the ethanol REALLY causes problems with boats.

As for Lucas, its garbage and very well could be shortening the life of the equipment. The biggest problem with it is foam. Oils have anti foaming agents in them that air from turning into foam when going through the engine. Lucas does not contain these additives. Wanna see it for your self? Go to the auto parts store that has the nifty Lucas display with the gears that shows how well it climbs. Spin the lucas one as fast as you can for a few seconds, look at all the foam in the bottom. Do it with the "plain oil" side and see the difference.

Where there is foam, there is air. Where there is air, there is no oil. "I dont have gears like that in my engine" some of you might say. What about the timing gears? Oil Pump? or diesel injection pumps?

The only additive I have ever used was sea-foam. And it was purely to clean up carbon. If you want to prevent carbon build up, run a syn diesel oil in 5w-40. High detergents, higher amounts of zinc (ZDDP) to prevent cam wear, and its cheap. The 5w-40 is about perfect for air cooled motors too.

As for fogging engines, Marvel Mystery Oil is the industry standard fogging oil in marine applications. When I was spinning wrenches on boats, we would go through cases of it in the fall. Fire the engine up and pour it into the carb once you had a nice plume of smoke, shut it down. Done. For smaller two strokes (outboards engines) we would Mercury Marine fogging oil. Its in an arosol can. Pull the spark plugs, stick the straw in the cylinder and spray while pulling the straw out. The oil foams to great proportions, coating the cylinders.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot say i agree with ethanol being bad for boats. my boat jsut runs 89 octaine all its life. the engine is older than i am and runs great.

well. the electric coke caught fire last year.

if you use sea foam periodical. why bother buying ethanol free gas. sea foam is just going to clean it out.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some boats have fiberglass fuel tanks, the ethanol degrades these tanks. Plus the ethanol is hygroscopic. when boats are already at risk for water intrusion, this just piles on to the problem. I have rebult many carbs on boats due to water intruision. the aluminum corrodes during storage causeing a no start condition.

do a search for boat ethanol. even the major manufacturers have come out against it and warned owners of the issues. just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean its not happening.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I cannot say i agree with ethanol being bad for boats. my boat jsut runs 89 octaine all its life. the engine is older than i am and runs great.

well. the electric coke caught fire last year.

if you use sea foam periodical. why bother buying ethanol free gas. sea foam is just going to clean it out.
Bird, could you show me where even Sea Foam claims it treats ethanol? It doesn't. It is a good solvent. Due to the alcohol content. See the msds sheet. Adding more alcohol to ethanol blended gas is playing with fire.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

would that solvent not clean the ethanol residue?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No it wouldn't. It is aluminum oxide, from the oxidation of aluminum (the ethanol is an oxygenate) it is a white powder that clogs the filters and teeny tiny inlet screens in carbs. Straight gas would turn to varnish, which the sea foam will remove but the oxidation from the aluminum is there until it is manually removed. Not to mention what it does to some rubber components in the fuel.system. last summer I rebuilt the entire fuel system on a 97 sea-doo from carbs to pick up tubes due to corrosion from long term storage even with stabil.

again, to add to the water issue, most storage facilities around here require less than 1/2 tank of fuel in the boats. With this much air space in the tanks coupled with fluctuations in temp and you find a lot of water in fuel.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

interesting. although I'm not sure I can justify many trips to another town simply to save the hassle of spraying out a carb every few years.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used STA-BIL. Has always worked well for me and I get it at a good price at Walmart. If it works, and its cheap, why bother getting other brands?
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
I've always used STA-BIL. Has always worked well for me and I get it at a good price at Walmart. If it works, and its cheap, why bother getting other brands?
STA-BIL is the way to go! Always used it, and never had a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device