Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hmm, that's kind of a deal breaker, imho. I tend to trim at lower RPMs = as needed...and the same for edging -> which obviously requires more RPMs.

Honest critique from afar: SEEMS like an electric motor would respond well to a rheostat trigger changing the current...unless this creates too much heat from impedance issues.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. i like to be able to give jsut enough to cut grass but not cut bark. full on or full off on any speed isnt useable for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Sponsor

I too am used to "feathering the trigger" in certain conditions while trimming. The main reason I use the lower speed while trimming those areas is just because I don't want to listen to the noise. Since CORE products are so quiet, IMO, I think it would be easy and worth getting used to.

GOT A QUESTION?? Call us anytime 1-800-222-4303 Mon-Fri 8-5 EST

*** LAWNSITE members save $20 off any order of $100 or more,
Click Here or use "lawnsite" (in lowercase) when checking out***
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i do not like lines on trees and fences.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still not time for electric yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Still not time for electric yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I held the Core at a dealer already. Looks promising. Especially as 2-strokes disappear. The power delivery characteristics of electric motors is appealing. The environment of summer temps may prove problematic in hot regions. Charging a battery on a 90F day in a hot truck will certainly affect battery life. And running them hot, rapid charging them off 12v power again, not good for battery life. So then, how many batteries per day? Are they going to warranty a battery run hot on 100 degree days?

For some reason engineers seem to think we should run tools at full throttle. I guess engineers don't have to pay for broken glass?

It's going to take some ciphering to determine; does a typical trimmer use 27 gallons of fuel annually? For now, I think I agree with Patriot services.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. i agree. full throttle puts lines in wood. hopefully the guy will take that to the research department. seemed like a good idea till then.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is my opinion after hearing all this. For one a 25cc trimmer is kinda small for us. I run a 24.5 4 stroke and the torque range would be the same. Once I get my 31 cc this electric wont be able to keep up. I get twice the run time with 4 stroke than 2 stroke. I get 2 to 2.5 hrs run time on a tank of full running wide open and it seems to last around 4 hrs on a tank full just putting around doing light trimming because my employee can run a whole day without refilling. This is going on year 3 and it has 1000 hrs without putting a dime into it. So here is the bottom line, for me to get the same performance with that machine id need to buy the trimmer and buy the pack. That's close to $700 and most likely I would have to replace the batteries every year, all 4 of them to maintain the same performance. Plus id have to carry around the back pack and I won't be able to feather the throttle for sensitive areas. This sounds like a option, but not the best option.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always wonder about guys that say they NEED a 30cc or larger trimmer. I can only think you are running guard off with 2ft of line out. We run SRm230s all day with guards. If an area bigger than that needs to be mowed, get the mower out. We had 265s and the guys didn't like them. Powerful sure but not needed and just more weight. Weight equals fatigue equals lost production and sloppy results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. i kinda wonder the same thing. iv got the echo 225 and rarely use it on full throttle. if i got a bigger engine that would only mean even less throttle.