Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
No echo 4 strokes in the pipeline. As for longevity I attribute that more to maintenance than design. Detroit Diesel used to make 2 stroke diesels for semis. Sounded badazz, smoked a ton, but lasted just as long their 4 stroke counterparts. In other words millions of miles. I have several BR600 4 strokes that get treated well and have had zero issues. Good oil and valve checks make the difference. Its not necessarily more power, but a different power curve and sometimes a weight penalty. To me trimmers are like guns, all will get the job done, but only a few feel truly good in your hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Off the subject--back in my early 20's (about 100 years ago, more or less), the Oliver Tractor Co., had a farm tractor with that GM 2-stroke diesel--I think the model # was 1950 (not year--model). I drove one for my wife's uncle for a summer--it was awsome. Loved the sound--totally different than any other farm tractor I know of, and man it could pull!!!! Could hear it a mile away
!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Off the subject--back in my early 20's (about 100 years ago, more or less), the Oliver Tractor Co., had a farm tractor with that GM 2-stroke diesel--I think the model # was 1950 (not year--model). I drove one for my wife's uncle for a summer--it was awsome. Loved the sound--totally different than any other farm tractor I know of, and man it could pull!!!! Could hear it a mile away
!
Those engines are where we stole our superchargers for serious hot rods. Nothing like a 6-71with a 3" belt drive, duel double pumps or Hilborn injectors if you really had money back then. I need a new project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Those engines are where we stole our superchargers for serious hot rods. Nothing like a 6-71with a 3" belt drive, duel double pumps or Hilborn injectors if you really had money back then. I need a new project.
Posted via Mobile Device
As I recall, this one was a V-8--very unusual for a farm tractor from the factory. Just guessing, it's still around the farm back in Texas, grown up in weeds/trees--hmmm, wander what size mower deck it would handle!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are many issues with the 4 cycle trimmers and I am sure the reviews you read give you some insight. There isn't one 4 cycle trimmer that I would recommend. What I would recommend is an Echo Straight shaft trimmer from a dealer. Good warranty, good machine
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. i agree. too bad someone stole mine. i decided to go with the 225 rather than the 230. it was near 100 bucks more and only gave me 15% more power. if i was doing heavy stuff, ltos of tall thick weeds and what not that extra 15% might make a difference, but only doing clean grass on edges; most of the time im not even giving it full throttle. so it did not seem like i would actualy get any use out of the extra investment.

i am a bit worried. my last echo started on teh first pull. this one didnt. tho i forgot the choke. maybe tomorow itl work better.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
yea. i agree. too bad someone stole mine. i decided to go with the 225 rather than the 230. it was near 100 bucks more and only gave me 15% more power. if i was doing heavy stuff, ltos of tall thick weeds and what not that extra 15% might make a difference, but only doing clean grass on edges; most of the time im not even giving it full throttle. so it did not seem like i would actualy get any use out of the extra investment.

i am a bit worried. my last echo started on teh first pull. this one didnt. tho i forgot the choke. maybe tomorow itl work better.
If all you were seeing between the 225 and the 230 was "15% more power" then you were not seeing the whole picture. Two totally different engines.. what does your 225 show on the label for emissions regulations, does it say 50 hour compliance, or 300 hour?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well. i wont claim that the specific dealer i got it from knows what they are talking about. what all difference is there?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All echo engines are 300 hour. The 230 has a considerable bump in power. But the 225 should serve you well. More power than most homeowners will need.

As to having yours stolen, sorry to hear that, but welcome to the world of pro landscapers. You gotta keep em under lock and key. Even in million dollar neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
well. i wont claim that the specific dealer i got it from knows what they are talking about. what all difference is there?
Not really that much, the 230 has better power than the specs imply. My 230 was kinda tough to start, either it fired in two pulls, or it flooded.

That little 21cc engine in the 225 is Echos workhorse engine. They use it on handheld blowers (underpowered ), hedge trimmers (the industry standard for years), I think it is among the best $200 trimmers available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
All echo engines are 300 hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
The new 225 engine, on both the GT-225 and SRM-225 are not a 300 hour engine per the rating, they are EPA rated at 50 hours.