Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yikes. Your right. The old 210 had the bullet proof 21cc. I stand corrected.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: strikes me odd as the 300 hr emission rating has long been an Echo marketing tool.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Darn right. i have no idea what that actualy means but,,,, yea!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Yikes. Your right. The old 210 had the bullet proof 21cc. I stand corrected.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: strikes me odd as the 300 hr emission rating has long been an Echo marketing tool.
The elimination of the 300 hour rating on the 225 engine starting in 2013 is still a marketing tool. it is a marketing tool to reduce the cost due to Home Depot demanding a lower priced unit so they can continue to sell it at $199 (and possibly a reason that some Echo dealers are dropping the 225 from their stocks). The engine is the same as it's always been except for a change to a non-catalytic muffler (pricey metals in those cats) which due to a non-cat now reduces the units compliance period to 50 hours. (will likely run much better than the previous 225 models since the "new" muffler is less restrictive without the cat materials). So, buy 'em and run 'em.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to know. I've had great service from Echo tools. Dependable as a Labrador. Parts are relatively cheap, rarely needed, yet readily available. Suck on that Stihl, Redmax, and especially Kawasaki. Kawasaki, the "you need a what"? guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so. regulated at 50 or 300 horus. meaning after 50 or 300 hours it no longer meats emissions standards and the govt expects you to toss it and buy a new one?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
so. regulated at 50 or 300 horus. meaning after 50 or 300 hours it no longer meats emissions standards and the govt expects you to toss it and buy a new one?
Sort of. I think it's actually the expected "major service" interval. Mostly it's regarded as an Echo marketing tool as stated. A typical home owner, even with lots of trimming, wouldn't wear out an echo trimmer in 20 years. Likely it'll suffer another death along the way. Or be discarded when it won't start after sitting for 6 months with old gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What service could actually be done. other than a spark plug?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my experience, you won't need any service. Some trimmers run so rough, they shake screws out, requiring regular attention. Never remember an echo missing screws. hey Husky, Redmax, you hear this? Also, Echo hardware very rarely rusts.

Keep your air filter clean (probably annually if your using it one hour a week), use good quality (preferably ethanol free) fuel mix 89 octane+ (Echo oil is fd rated) and inexpensive as well as available at HD and many dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
maybe the 4 stroke they showed me last year was a husqvarna. im not a fan of them so ill probably stick with echo.

but in general, would a 4 stroke last longer than a 2 stroke?
4 stroke will out last a 2 stroke

When I ran 2 strokes they would only last 2 yrs, free of problems most time by 3rd year they was a big problem. I don't like down time.
I'm on the 4th year on my 4 strokes and haven't done a thing to them only just the values.
I don't buy the cheap ones either If it sales in a big box store, I don't want it.
I like 30cc or bigger. Bigger the motor the faster I can walk and trimmer keeps up with my walking
Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Sort of. I think it's actually the expected "major service" interval. Mostly it's regarded as an Echo marketing tool as stated. A typical home owner, even with lots of trimming, wouldn't wear out an echo trimmer in 20 years. Likely it'll suffer another death along the way. Or be discarded when it won't start after sitting for 6 months with old gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ehh.. it's the period for which the unit is rated to remain in emission compliance. The new 50 hour rating like I said is due to the change in the muffler. The engine, with proper mix and maintenance will still do its 300hr+, just that the muffler may need replacing earlier (actually they'll run cooler without the cat stuff in the muffler that induces more heat). It's not really a marketing tool, it's a "price point" entry level unit tool. They (Echo) make much less at $199 compared to $219 when the materials in each muffler are running you over $20 to manufacture compared to probably $8-$12 for a standard "skin" muffler. (and this may not sound like much to the general public but you have to remember, when Echo is producing a few hundred thousand of these in a run and the price of the cat material goes up mid run, they're stuck at that contract price and a change of $4 per unit multiplied by 400,000 units at a time is a lot of money to have to absorb).

And no, you cannot take the new muffler and swap it out to one of the old machines because the rest of the unit is tuned to the cat muffler and you'll goof it up putting a non-cat muffler on.