Register free!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
Would you still recommend an early Spring seeding with AR even for the un irrigated lawn? I'm in 5b as well. I love the idea of filling the bare spots with grass instead of pre emergent but does the AR typically survive until the Fall seeding begins? Would you seed at 5lbs per k or 10?
In the Fall I use the 3 way seed mix for lawns,,, w/out AR...
In the Spring I'll use the 10% AR in the same mix.. It acts as a 'cover crop' for going into Summer and to protect the perennials as they come up more slowly...

As the season progresses(after Memorial Weekend) and we're not getting the grass we desire,,, that is when I put down the straight AR to fill in...
The AR will loosen/protect/improve the soil for the Summer by growing deep roots and preventing dust/mud spots on the lawn...

and yes it does survive the summer around here(Z4 or 5 border) and I would think Z5 would be safe as well... It does not survive the winter of course,,, so the Fall blend will be applied amongst the bodies of the AR for cover of the seedbed...