Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adding a secondary tank to Lesco 200 gal rig

I'm thinking about adding another 50g tank to my Lesco spray rig. I want to have a seperate tank for a kill all mix for our resod jobs. I was thinking of mounting it above the main tank or over the hose reel, since it's in a box truck I have some room above to make it a gravity fed system into the existing pump and hose.
Has anyone added another tank to this kind of setup?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you do,make sure you have some type of back flow preventer so it doesn't make it into your main tank. And make sure after your done to give the hose and pump a triple rinse
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not hard to do. You need to make a "valve tree" of three separate three-way valves. One for suction, one for agitation, and one for bypass. You can mount the 50 gallon tank anywhere you want on the truck.
The last truck i ordered i specified a 600 main tank and a 50 gallon "special mix" tank and i can drop product into the 50 from the 600 on a separate 2 inch hose. Ive done roundup jobs, brush control jobs and deep root feeding jobs with it. A Kappa 75 drives a lot of agitation in a 50 gallon tank.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Like CTPTURF said on the setup. I've got a seperate 125 gallon in front of my 200 gallon. I usually just mix mine the same and cut down on fill-ups.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't pay me to do that. I don't want roundup any where near my primary mix.

Now I do support running one or the other and doing a good clean out and rinse afterwards but I'm not gambling my mix or my lawns on a valve or two.

No offense to those that want to try it but being in this business as long as I have I have seen it all and guarantee cross contamination or a mistake in application will happen eventually.

I don't even carry roundup in a tip and fill in my trailer unless I know I will need it that day for fear of accidental mis use or what not.

I recommend a dedicated unit for roundup treatments. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Cadzilla; 03-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post

Now I do support running one or the other and doing a good clean out and rinse afterwards but I'm not gambling my mix or my lawns on a valve or two.

No offense to those that want to try it but being in this business as long as I have I have seen it all and guarantee cross contamination or a mistake in application will happen eventually.

I don't even carry roundup in a tip and fill in my trailer unless I know I will need it that day for fear of accidental mis use or what not.

I guess it just depends on the type of turf your treating. I'm not sure where the OP is from. Bermuda is our primary turf here and it's common to blanket round-up when its dorment. All my spray equipment has had round-up through it. When I need to run something else, I just rinse out and run my rinse into another tank.

I do agree that there is a lot of liquid in the hose and pump and simply switching a valve won't get you the product you want immediately.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post

I agree, if you are consistently doing roundup jobs. I might do a roundup job every three months or so and after im done i will thoroughly rinse spray system.
I know of several companies that use a two tank setup with one pump and switch back and forth during the day to do lawns and ornamentals. I wouldnt trust that setup at all, especially with herbicide in the lawn tank side.
I use a Kappa 75 for the lawn side and a Kappa 15 electric for the ornamentals. Keep the each spray system independent if doing two different jobs on a daily basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
I agree, if you are consistently doing roundup jobs. I might do a roundup job every three months or so and after im done i will thoroughly rinse spray system.
I know of several companies that use a two tank setup with one pump and switch back and forth during the day to do lawns and ornamentals. I wouldnt trust that setup at all, especially with herbicide in the lawn tank side.
I use a Kappa 75 for the lawn side and a Kappa 15 electric for the ornamentals. Keep the each spray system independent if doing two different jobs on a daily basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about using backflows and shutoff valves but didn't really think about the agitation. Maybe I will just buy a smaller complete unit for kill alls. Thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also agree that running a nonselective through my turf hoses or worse, ornamental hoses makes me cringe. For small job stuff, a small tank with electric pump on it's own manual reel is a nice, cheap solution for a good amount of production, with a small footprint, keeping it's own closed system intact.

No contaminated pump, no accidental material in hoses, no leached material into hose and gun liners, etc. etc.

For those of you that have used a secondary tank to extend your gallonage with the same, or similar purpose mixes, I found that ball valves never fair very well under ag chem and fert mixes. They get pitted, seals deteriorate and they lose suction and of course, eventually someone has the wrong draw selected for the return that's happening and overflow a tank.

We went from that system to a nipple/clamp quick connect system, with the piggy tank having long enough leads to reach the pump. That way, what was hooked up was visible and guys had a far easier time drawing from and putting material as they intended it to be. The bonus, those connections far outlast the ball valves and hold suction much better.

and one more vote for the Udor Kappa line...outstanding pumps that have lasted us far longer than any Hypro.