Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

shutting down

Well after a week of debating In my head I am shutting down my lawn care. I was running it part time. While working full time in a factory. I decided to just mange my money better and live inside of my means. Also I am getting married In a couple months and gaining. Not only a wife but two kids also and I do not want to spend my summer working and not see them any. It was a heartbreaking decision. Not one made easy.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to see ya go. hard to beat the joys of being a business owner.

ever conciser the business full time? i know personally how hard of a transition it is, but if you make it the rewards are well worth it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is she on board with this? I know they are hard ro find, but some women dig this business. Not necessarily getting her hands dirty. Having a female answer the phone could be a big boon to your business. While your at the day job she is taking calls, setting up estimates and doing CSR. Being a family business we have never been closer. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree. that human touch makes a big difference. even if they caint talk to you, if they hear someone speaking to them saying ill make sure he gets back to you as soon as he can is much more assuring than a voice mail leaving you left in the dark.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh. and if you do get out. and have ur cutsomers. sell the business as a whole. get some money out of it. if you do go that route. there is also the option of paying someone else to do the work and you collecting a little markup.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many lawns are you doing now?

Say you have 15. You drop your 5 lowest money making lawns. Then if your factory job ends at 3pm you could still do 2 lawns a night. Still be home by 6 pm and all have diner together.

Better then finding things tight then looking for a PT job that usually does not pay well. Or worse regreting giving up your business then trying to fine good customers over again.

Always unexpected costs always come with kids.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey AKA with all do respect Now that you have family you want to slow down
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have given it a lot of thought. If I did work days I would stay with it. I work third shift. So I stay up and now then sleep till time to leave for work. that is where it gets all complicated. I started last year and I just have not grown like I feel I should. I live in a small town and a lot of small town polictes. even the one property manger I done all his work has given my biggest job to some one needing to work off rent. And he will be my father in law and we (her and I ) feel it is causing family trouble. so we mainly I have decided to stop for now and get settled in a family before doing anything else. might do some fall cleans later on just bought a used leaf vac. And I have started getting set up to do some power washing. I am going to expermint with some hardscaping around the house never done any. So I will be back just time and maybe not in lawn mowing all together my dream is to get out of the factory all together some day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Power washing can be quite profitable. that is for sure. but perhaps mowing jsut isnt what you want to do. dont give up on owning a business. most milionairs have failed at many businesses and declaired bankruptcy multiple times. then they it it rich