Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Couldn't agree more. Don't make it look full the day you put it in. I want it to look full years to come. Not overgrown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Right. I see to many landscapes where people use every square foot of space to make it look full. First thing you learn is that it is okay for a bed to look sparse when first installed, because after a few years the landscape will look much more full and much more natural, and the homeowner also does not have to worry too much about upkeep at first after install.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Right. I see to many landscapes where people use every square foot of space to make it look full. First thing you learn is that it is okay for a bed to look sparse when first installed, because after a few years the landscape will look much more full and much more natural, and the homeowner also does not have to worry too much about upkeep at first after install.
I always enjoy explaining to new customers how a larger bed is lower maintenance. First few times, conversation ended with "please, just trust me." Took a few times to get the verbage right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
I always enjoy explaining to new customers how a larger bed is lower maintenance. First few times, conversation ended with "please, just trust me." Took a few times to get the verbage right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Right. I usually tell people that want that "Full" look at first in a large bed is to design annuals into it, but I try to talk them into the larger beds.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

On the 2nd drawing, the walkway that goes to the driveway (edge furtherest from street) kind of turns towards the street. i would change it to either go straight into the driveway or curl a little back towards the house.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like it. I need to learn how to do stuff like that haha
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sketch up pro is extreamly easy to use. I took a CAD class in highschool and didnt remember one thing about it when istarted using this again. It took about 20 hours to master, but i probably could design the interior and exterior of an entire house, including everything on the tables(pens, paper, books, computers) and everything with the components that come with sketchup for free. Also you can download other components and textures from google for different projects. Belgard actually makes a component that is there put together skid mounted fireplaces.

For everyone comenting on the plant material, this is just an idea to work with. I always space my designs out so they look full in 2-3 years, so we can maintain them. No point in having to replace landscape every 10 years from over planting and choking everthing out.

Also, with regard to the walkway on the last design, i attached what it would look like going both, towards the driveway more, and going completely to the driveway.

seriously if anyone has an extra 2-3 hours to play around on the program, its free, and so easy to start using.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here is the walkway changed
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I like that design that you just posted, looks great.

Currently in a Construction Management program at Wentworth and we are learning a program called Revit. Hate it, CAD is way better.Although you cant do alot of what Revit can with CAD.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Why not on the right corner three cryptomeria. They grow tall and fast. I have a client with something like that.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I downloaded Sketchup last night, been playing around with it and it is definitely a great program for free. I'm going to try my grandpas house with the plot plan I have to design the gravel driveway addition he wants, have to see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device