Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I like that design that you just posted, looks great.

Currently in a Construction Management program at Wentworth and we are learning a program called Revit. Hate it, CAD is way better.Although you cant do alot of what Revit can with CAD.
Thats the program we used in highschool. I downloaded the student eddition of that and it takes about 200% longer to do everything on that program. Though if you are doing architecual house designs, revit can print out awesome drawings that sketchup cannot.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
Why not on the right corner three cryptomeria. They grow tall and fast. I have a client with something like that.
They want the fall color of the burning bushes to act as a hedge along the top of their porch.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First set of design pictures is paid for in full, starting the demo next week, and then getting the stone delivered as soon as Michigan lifts the freeze hold on any brick deliveries. As soon as the weather warms up we will knock this job out.

The second set of pictures was actually a proposal for a customer to show them our design work. Both husband and wife loved it, so they wanted me to design a backyard set up for them to entertain and have fun with their kids. I designed this up for them. It is a small paver patio (350 sq feet) with fancy dancy designer furniture(3600 for a couch and one chair). The there is actually no "fire pits" aloud in my city ordinance, but you can have natural gas open flame fire kits installed. That is what this fire pit is. Its going to be a gravel patio with 28" seating walls made out of wet laid limestone or flagstone. The fire pit will be a natural gas with fake logs putting out around 50,000 btu's on average but you can bump it up to around 200k btu to keep warm in the winter. Should be a nice flame.This job will start after the first set of pictures job. The backyard alone is going to cost them a butt load of money. Its a brand new build and the steps are going to have to have a 6ft footer where the overburden of the foundation was dug. Total job proposal cost: 28k.

What do you guys think about the design?
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I like it, Ill have to look into getting sketch up. The only bad thing about Revit is the cost for the MAC version I cant see being very low. Otherwise its a good program.

My dads a builder who does all the work on his own (minus electrical, plumbing, cement, excavation) but he does all the general contracting stuff all on his own, one man company. Thats how I got interested in building, but my summer job doing landscaping really got me liking this more, and I want to get into hardscaping.

My dads only flaw is he HATES doing the outsides of houses, so any house he sells from now on will come with a flyer from me haha. he just sold three and one has a 10,000sqft side yard that isnt finished that they look like they are trying to cleanup up and plant grass, might have to see if they want it done. Alot of pine needles to move in that area, would it be smart to lay down a few inches of soil for the new grass, or just till up the stuff there now?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
First set of design pictures is paid for in full, starting the demo next week, and then getting the stone delivered as soon as Michigan lifts the freeze hold on any brick deliveries. As soon as the weather warms up we will knock this job out.

The second set of pictures was actually a proposal for a customer to show them our design work. Both husband and wife loved it, so they wanted me to design a backyard set up for them to entertain and have fun with their kids. I designed this up for them. It is a small paver patio (350 sq feet) with fancy dancy designer furniture(3600 for a couch and one chair). The there is actually no "fire pits" aloud in my city ordinance, but you can have natural gas open flame fire kits installed. That is what this fire pit is. Its going to be a gravel patio with 28" seating walls made out of wet laid limestone or flagstone. The fire pit will be a natural gas with fake logs putting out around 50,000 btu's on average but you can bump it up to around 200k btu to keep warm in the winter. Should be a nice flame.This job will start after the first set of pictures job. The backyard alone is going to cost them a butt load of money. Its a brand new build and the steps are going to have to have a 6ft footer where the overburden of the foundation was dug. Total job proposal cost: 28k.

What do you guys think about the design?
Looks good. Any outdoor fireplace is bound to be a great feature. When my dad was still up here in MI he did a lot of outdoor kitchens/livingspaces and those fireplaces just add so much to the "feel" of the yard than just a simple patio. I hope to be on the same level as the work you're doing some day!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I like it, Ill have to look into getting sketch up. The only bad thing about Revit is the cost for the MAC version I cant see being very low. Otherwise its a good program.

My dads a builder who does all the work on his own (minus electrical, plumbing, cement, excavation) but he does all the general contracting stuff all on his own, one man company. Thats how I got interested in building, but my summer job doing landscaping really got me liking this more, and I want to get into hardscaping.

My dads only flaw is he HATES doing the outsides of houses, so any house he sells from now on will come with a flyer from me haha. he just sold three and one has a 10,000sqft side yard that isnt finished that they look like they are trying to cleanup up and plant grass, might have to see if they want it done. Alot of pine needles to move in that area, would it be smart to lay down a few inches of soil for the new grass, or just till up the stuff there now?
Download it! It's free! Have your dad get you some leads of per price a ten thousand dollar landscape in with each house, I'm sure his houses would sell quick per if they were move in ready on the outside.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Looks good. Any outdoor fireplace is bound to be a great feature. When my dad was still up here in MI he did a lot of outdoor kitchens/livingspaces and those fireplaces just add so much to the "feel" of the yard than just a simple patio. I hope to be on the same level as the work you're doing some day!
Posted via Mobile Device
Appreciate the kudos, it's easy to do. I didn't have any one teach me how to do this, just learned by sitting in my office on my computer for ten or so hours on night and figured out how to do it all. The first design took me a lot longer than the second one.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Appreciate the kudos, it's easy to do. I didn't have any one teach me how to do this, just learned by sitting in my office on my computer for ten or so hours on night and figured out how to do it all. The first design took me a lot longer than the second one.
Not a prob man. I just downloaded Sketchup last week and have been designing my house, I'm getting much better at it. You're designs definitely look good. I don't have any one helping me along here so I'm trying to take advantage of all the resources I have, like this site for example. Nice to see someone on here not to far from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Not a prob man. I just downloaded Sketchup last week and have been designing my house, I'm getting much better at it. You're designs definitely look good. I don't have any one helping me along here so I'm trying to take advantage of all the resources I have, like this site for example. Nice to see someone on here not to far from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
nice man, yeah your not far at all. If you want one tip. When doing straight lines, extend the line tool out to the direction you want to go, then type how ever many feet you want to go. So if you wanted to go 4 feet, type (4') and press enter. This will make the line exactly 4 feet long.

If you want to go 36" type 36" and hit enter and it will make the distance 36". Just make sure you are on the correct plane

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking good. Any irrigation in this job?