Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

honda hrx217 if you don't use a 21" that often.

honda hrc216 if you use it all day every day.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

For the not so heavy use, the Ariens LM21S for $700 seems like a mower you couldn't go wrong with (not that I've used it). I don't like the idea of a plastic deck with the HRX, even if they do want to claim a lifetime guarantee. The Ariens has the Kawasaki engine and 14g steel deck. Seems like a solid piece of equipment.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod78 View Post
For the not so heavy use, the Ariens LM21S for $700 seems like a mower you couldn't go wrong with (not that I've used it). I don't like the idea of a plastic deck with the HRX, even if they do want to claim a lifetime guarantee. The Ariens has the Kawasaki engine and 14g steel deck. Seems like a solid piece of equipment.
Yes I have the Swivel wheel version of this mower. Delivers one of the nicest cuts when bagging. Swivel wheels are not the best for side hills even when wheel is locked forward. Mower feel top heavy when traversing sideways at 45°.

Like I said before great bagger but with OEM blade not such a great mulcher. What blade works best when mulching with the Gravely or Ariens deck....?

Since I've been running my yBravo25 and Toro 30 TimeMaster all my 21's just sit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Yes I have the Swivel wheel version of this mower. Delivers one of the nicest cuts when bagging. Swivel wheels are not the best for side hills even when wheel is locked forward. Mower feel top heavy when traversing sideways at 45°.

Like I said before great bagger but with OEM blade not such a great mulcher. What blade works best when mulching with the Gravely or Ariens deck....?

Since I've been running my yBravo25 and Toro 30 TimeMaster all my 21's just sit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually thinking about buying the fixed axle version of this mower, but I mulch nearly 100% of the time so...it doesn't mulch very well? I will say though that I rarely let the lawns I mulch get overgrown so I don't have an expectation of it mulching 4-6" of grass without a trace. Those Kawasaki engines are pretty reliable, right?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually thinking about buying the fixed axle version of this mower, but I mulch nearly 100% of the time so...it doesn't mulch very well? I will say though that I rarely let the lawns I mulch get overgrown so I don't have an expectation of it mulching 4-6" of grass without a trace. Those Kawasaki engines are pretty reliable, right?
Well let's just say the TimeMaster 30 is a vastly better mulcher and so is the yBravo25.

My Toro SR4 is a okay mulcher but the cut is iffy for me.

Kawi engine is proven. No worries there. I'd demo one for mulch mowing before buying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ah..ok. Well for what I'm doing I can't really justify more than $750-800 on a 21" mower so that's going to eliminate most of these commercial units. The Ariens seemed to be somewhat of a commercial mower that was reasonably priced. Considered the Toro Commercial 22156 (not heavy duty) at $899, but that's pushing what I want to spend. Mulching ability and cut quality is really my main concern
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah..ok. Well for what I'm doing I can't really justify more than $750-800 on a 21" mower so that's going to eliminate most of these commercial units. The Ariens seemed to be somewhat of a commercial mower that was reasonably priced. Considered the Toro Commercial 22156 (not heavy duty) at $899, but that's pushing what I want to spend. Mulching ability and cut quality is really my main concern
I hear you. Yes the Ariens is a solid well made pro-sumer model.

In this range I'd go towards a Honda HRX.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the stock blade works best on the ariens. its a great machine and i highly recommend it. the kawi is an absolute unstopable beast and tackes the toughest mowing jobs with ease. at 700 its a bargin $. i have been running ariens 21 for 3 seasons and so far not a single drive issue! handles overgrown law ns better than any other 21 i have used(except for the cub 621) . itried a gator blade on one but the stock blade left a cleaner cut. only a snapper will out bag it
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
the stock blade works best on the ariens. its a great machine and i highly recommend it. the kawi is an absolute unstopable beast and tackes the toughest mowing jobs with ease. at 700 its a bargin $. i have been running ariens 21 for 3 seasons and so far not a single drive issue! handles overgrown law ns better than any other 21 i have used(except for the cub 621) . itried a gator blade on one but the stock blade left a cleaner cut. only a snapper will out bag it
Yes its a great bagger but what about mulching.... in your experience...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
Thanks for the info. Would you say it gives a good finish cut in mulching mode? I'm considering one because they seem well constructed and its not a whole lot more $ than some of the higher end residential mowers Ive considered like the $550-600 Toro Super Recycler.