Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Factory Deck Leveling?

I was messing around with my new John Deere Z645 today. I stuck one of those JD deck leveling gauges under the blades and lowered the deck to 3in. The gauge said it was at 2 1/4in. Idk if the concrete I was on was 100% level though. Could the deck be that much out of wack from the factory? And do I need to look further into it?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neblawncare23 View Post
I was messing around with my new John Deere Z645 today. I stuck one of those JD deck leveling gauges under the blades and lowered the deck to 3in. The gauge said it was at 2 1/4in. Idk if the concrete I was on was 100% level though. Could the deck be that much out of wack from the factory? And do I need to look further into it?
Yes !! Yes !! My new MZ6128ZT was off by a mile. I put rear wheels on the deck and had to level it to get to cut right.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a ton of experience with both the gauge you have, and JD decks. They are seldom off that far when they come from the dealer, but it is possible since JD dealers set those machines up in bulk for both the dealership and the big box stores they service, especially right now while they are prepping for the spring rush on buying.

You need to make certain that you are on dead flat cement or some other surface. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, just dead flat. Even small birdbaths in the surface can throw your readings off. If you were on a driveway or (especially) a garage floor, I doubt you were getting totally accurate readings.

It isn't that hard to re-set the actual HOC to match the deck position stop. just make sure you set the front of the blades first when adjusting everything(and not the edge of the deck), then adjust the linkage for the rear until you have 1/4" of upwards pitch at the rear of the blades while they are still pointing front to back. Then check the deck for level from side to side with the two outer blades pointing straight to either side. All of that is in every JD manual along with decent pictures.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

my Scag wildcat was the same way, and when you cranked the deck up to a true 3" and try to put the deck up to the transport position it would hit the deck stops and not latch, so what i do now is FIRST check your tire pressure and adjust, then drop the deck and level it side to side,then i level the pitch from front to back,then i put the deck in the transport position and then crank the deck up to just under the stops so the deck will latch and then, it is what it is, you can take a measurement off the floor to the blade tips to see what you end up with and measure your other mowers to see how to adjust to make them equal, im sure there is other ways but this seems to work for me
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Will the blower assist on the one side affect the side to side measurments?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neblawncare23 View Post
Will the blower assist on the one side affect the side to side measurments?
Not usually due to the way the deck hangs off the mounts on most ZTR's.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The deck needs to be leveled with the powerflow and bagger installed. Also the front of the deck should be 1/8 lower then the rear.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfield View Post
The deck needs to be leveled with the powerflow and bagger installed. Also the front of the deck should be 1/8 lower then the rear.
JD recommends between 1/8" to 1/4"pitch, but I can promise you they cut and stripe better at 1/4" to 3/8" pitch. I've owned about 20 of them now, and that has been true for every single one of them regardless of which exact model or machine type.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I got my mower on a flat surface this afternoon, and it seemed to be set closer than I previously thought. With the mower set a 3 inches the tip of blade on front side measured 2 3/4 inches and the back tip measure 3 inches. Is that how it should be set for the 3 inch setting?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Z950A came that way too. That's how a lot of them come, but I prefer they are set exact with the position setting. Afterall, the position numbers are supposed to represent the cutting height. It is all in your manual on how to do this. I looked it up today. It is fairly simple to do, just follow the directions and pictures in your manual.