Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Pre Emergent Application Timing 2013 - MN, WI, IA

Would like to see when others in the Midwest, specifically MN & WI, are planning to put down Crabgrass pre emergent?

It has been a colder than normal spring but it looks to be warming up significantly in the next week. I know that crabgrass begin to germinate when soil reaches 50 degrees for a few consecutive days. Local extension office has soil temps at 35 degrees as of 4/21/13.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just going to watch ground temps closely. I'm sure they will rise quicker than normal due to the sun angle.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

May get flamed for this but we are starting our round 1 next monday if temps are what they say they are. If we were smaller or a solo op id say probly next week late or a week from monday depending on temps. Im planning on startin our cleanups middle of next week or a week from monday depending on moisture in the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
May get flamed for this but we are starting our round 1 next monday if temps are what they say they are. If we were smaller or a solo op id say probly next week late or a week from monday depending on temps. Im planning on startin our cleanups middle of next week or a week from monday depending on moisture in the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just curious why? Do you have that many to get to? Do you do split apps? I was just going to watch soil temps and go from there.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLAWN View Post
Just curious why? Do you have that many to get to? Do you do split apps? I was just going to watch soil temps and go from there.
Oh hey PS member!

We have quite a bit of customers to get to but usually we are somewhat spot on for round 1, Round 1 is PE + N/K application. More importantly we are expecting the soil temps to sky rocket and dont want to be caught with our pants down. Years past we are able to check temps better and choose our dates but this year I have a feeling that window is going to be extremely small.