Register free!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I normally try to pick up all the pine needles and oak leaves, because they do not break down well... Either bag them with the rider or blow into the truck...

Last Fall I did mulch the few Oak Leaves on the ground towrd the end of the season with the Toro Timemaster 30...

It does do a good job mulching and I've been asking for better mulching blades, however the designers of the Timemaster 30 are not yet up to speed...
Hard to believe the days are getting shorter, and winterizations and cleanups are only 3 months away! Ugh.... Lol
Old 07-12-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
So this would be good in heavy spring growth and no need to double cut for a manucuried like I normally do.

What other mower has a decent variable adjustable bagging feature like that...?

Toro TimeMaster running the older low lift blades is in fact a reduced collection mower...vs a WB with high lifts and a cumbersome side catcher.
Posted via Mobile Device
do you double cut all of your lawns each week? I just got a new kubota zero turn and i can't quite figure out the height i like but most lawns i cut are 2.5 to 3 in some i can't even tell I've cut them so should i go over it onces then go back over it at a 90 degree cut the same time?

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If the client insist on bagging I don't even bother with an organic bridge program... bagging removes OM in mass...
What do the microbes have to feed on? There's nothing to recycle nutrients from...
I've watched decent layers of topsoil go down for a new lawn and within 10years you can notice the color is fading as only the MINERAL components of the soil remain... "Low mow and bag... Clean Like A Carpet", is what they imagine...

It's funny you mention that. I have a customer that ask me every time I'm there why isn't my back-lawn growing in? Any new suggestions?
I keep meaning to tell them probably because (your theory mentioned above) is all wrong. They want it mowed low (2") and bagged and they want it to look like a carpet like you mentioned above.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have some test strip areas in my lawn that borders my driveway turnaround. The lawn is largely KBG. All my test areas mowed below 2.5" look like crap. Areas mowed 3.5" and above are growing like a weed. The higher the better.

Problem is clients cry a river with shaggy grass 4-5 days after it is mowed. So my standard height is 3.25". If they complain I will drop to 2.75".

Problem is I flat out don't want application clients who mow below 2.75". I am honestly questioning the entire feasibility of setting the bar that high. I am a lawn personal trainer of sorts. This isn't rocket science. If I was an athletic personal trainer and my clients were NOT disciplined and constantly did 60%+ of everything wrong...? WT? Who needs that agrivation...? I'd want to drop them for motivated clients. Same for lawns.

I do mow for a few clients who insist on the low heights. Weed control is a pita if you spot spray like I do.

Spot spraying taller mowed turf 2 day before mowing is a cake walk.
Posted via Mobile Device