Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

formulas for pricing?

Dies anyone have times for different tasks like mowing with different size mowers at different speeds, edging, pruning shrubs,etc? I'm trying to build formulas for pricing by time and haven't a clue where to start. Is this even possible with all the variables? Is the a better way? Right now we don't have a definite way to price accurately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes every quote i give is based on math. whats the sq ft of a lawn, how much trimming, thickness of grass, difficulty, and so on. love it.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well can you give me more info? Seems like everyone is so secretive about this subject. I know you prob worked really hard to get your formula right so I'm not asking to just give it away, but if you could give me the info I need to figure it out on my own? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Theres really no mathmatical formulia. I cant even spend the same amount of time on each property every week.

Alot of lawncare pricing comes from experience and sometimes I still misjudge.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen,
A friend of mine works for a multi million dollar landscape company and everything is priced out using a formula. Now they have 15 years worth of data that they used to build the formula but they do have one. I just guesstimate and get a good percentage of jobs and sometimes have to negotiate, and other times I lose because I'm to high or to cheap. I wish I had a consistent way of pricing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do the math. Take a 52" mower overlap by 5" so now its a 47" mower. So take the property width in inches and divide by 47 and round up. How long is the property. If its short you probably won't get up to 10mph. Figure 4 seconds to turn each time. Figure you need a minute of two to cut in around a 1/4 or 1/2 acher lot. Figure 2 minutes to get out of your truck and 2 minutes to put mower away and dump grass if you bag. Figure 6 to 12 minutes to trim or more or less. 2 minutes to blow the walkways. 3 seconds to record your time so you do better with price next year. Now a narrower mower might cost you two or three more minutes on a small lot but more time on a large lot. I did all the math when I started out and thought I could gross 75k for 6 days of cutting which is right on for my area if you don't take breaks. Any questions?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about pruning shrubs? Small medium and large shrubs plus cleanup? Seems like there are to many variables to get it close
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it important to even price it this way? Seems like over the years I've learned what people will pay in certain areas with certain size lots. The way I've learned this is from customers saying what other companies quoted them, or what they were paying before me etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Is it important to even price it this way? Seems like over the years I've learned what people will pay in certain areas with certain size lots. The way I've learned this is from customers saying what other companies quoted them, or what they were paying before me etc
Posted via Mobile Device
This may work. I had no knowlege of this when starting so I came up with my own process. Unfortunately with Landscape work I usually under estimated and then charged the customer the additional 1/2 of what I should have made. But its funny after doing the same jobs for 3-5 years my labor time is always within 15 minutes of what is was every other year. So I charge hourly rate but keep that info proprietary. I do the best job I can so every year it approaches the easiest it will ever be- a tangential curve. The mulch quantities usually are about the same unless there's a color change or a skipped year. If you do good work and don't waste time you build up a client base and the customer won't want or need to look elsewhere
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Im new at this, and right now I am running out of the bed of my pickup truck. Me and my partner (don't worry we are not 50/50 so someone is in charge) both using 22" push mowers right now. We priced the lawns so that we will make money by basing our projections off only 9 yards in a 8 hour day. We found that even if we only get 10 yards, and the one small commercial property we have, even if the houses are all $30 yards we will make $3,000 each working 30 days a year. It may not seem like much, but being in college sucks up everything but our weekends, and right now we only plan to get 10 yards to start. But with each of us making $3000 the company will still have $8,000 or so to pay for new equipment. And yes this is after all expenses, and dosn't include extra services. So right now that $30 lawn may take more time, but once we get newer and bigger mowers and better equipment we know we will make more money. Ive worked doing landscaping for the past 3 years, and have been mowing some lawns for family for probably 10 years, and every yard has its challenges, luckily I havent been bad with pricing them. And I will never low ball a yard just to get the job, not worth it since the money isnt what it should be.