Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I know what you mean. I am 15 lbs heavier than at the end of last season
Raining here today, guess Ill add another pound, beer thirty
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 1 of my guys working all week last week and this week it's snowing all week and in the high 20's and 30's. I have a bad feeling about this spring financially being a late start. my other 3 employees are scheduled to start back april 1st, we are allways booming with work then, but this year they might have to wait till 2nd week of april or lator. Phone has been extremely quiet, customers don't even think about landscaping until it's in the 50's or higher. Last year we started March 1st and was extremely busy. Oh well I guess that's how it goes in this line of work. Just will try to make up for it when we start getting busy Im going to work all day everyday to make up for a terrible March.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Was on a mulch job this time last year and it was 80 degrees, salted snow and freezing rain this morning , more snow and no 50 degrees in the 10 day , hopefully this season we get a spring , last year was winter into summer
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Calling for 12 inches of snow in NH tonight....
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in NC. Had a nice weekend but we're stick in a cold rainy pattern. I was doing 12 yards/week this time last year...this week, only 4 :/

Ready for it to crank up for sure!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Went to look at my accounts today and next week will be the beginning of a new season
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had a couple nicer days last week or the week before, but other than that we have stayed pretty cold. We had a couple days in the 40s but now we are back down to temps around 30 and light snow flurries for the next couple days.

I was watching the weather the other day and they were talking about how last year at the same time we were in the 70s and even 80s a couple days.

I probably won't be starting anything until early/mid April.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting next monday as long as its not too soggy....we lucked out here, all the forcasted snow has been all rain, but thank god for the rain this year maybe we will have an actual spring............but i see there wont be any mowing till mid April at least
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't mind starting a few weeks later but I do not want a dang drought with it being 100+ degrees for weeks straight. Last year a good 15% of my yards were literally gone and had to be totally replanted. I skipped some yards for 5 weeks at the height of the drought and heat last year. I have never done that before. I will never complain about too much rain again lol.

All that said, last year was my 3rd best season ever because I made an absolute killing last March. So like said somewhere above, a late start coupled with another drought would suck.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
I really don't mind starting a few weeks later but I do not want a dang drought with it being 100+ degrees for weeks straight. Last year a good 15% of my yards were literally gone and had to be totally replanted. I skipped some yards for 5 weeks at the height of the drought and heat last year. I have never done that before. I will never complain about too much rain again lol.

All that said, last year was my 3rd best season ever because I made an absolute killing last March. So like said somewhere above, a late start coupled with another drought would suck.
YEP!!!......2nd this