Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

adwords modified broad match

I have recently changed most of my adwords keywords to "modified broad match". Suppose to cut down on irrelevant clicks. I am not getting very many impressions at all, like 25 a day and no clicks.

Im wondering if any of you are using the "modified broad match"?

This is my first spring doing adwords and we are still 7 weeks away from our first mowing week so maybe I am still too early to expect any action?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 7 different campaigns and probably over 300 keywords in adwords. I only select the zipcodes I want to view with the keywords for each campaign, and thats all. I get a few hundred+ impressions a day--around 5,000 in the past month. Possibly your cost per click and campaign budget is too low. I set mine so I show up number 1 or 2 and run 1 week on 1 week off. Compaigns include: lawn care, landscaping, pressure washing, weed control, pruning, irrigation repair, irrigation installation. I have a 0.97% CTR and average CPC of $2.78

I'm not familiar with what you mean by 'modified broad match'

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Modified broad match lets you reach more people than phrase match and give you more control than broad match. Google it.

I have it automatically set to bid up to be on the first page. In my area its under $2 but i have it set at a $2.50 limit. My whole metropolitan area is only 500k people compared to your area of probly 5 mill.

I think I am too early to worry? We still have snow on the ground here.

What do you use phrase match or broad match? I read a book about adwords and learned about the modified.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I have recently changed most of my adwords keywords to "modified broad match". Suppose to cut down on irrelevant clicks. I am not getting very many impressions at all, like 25 a day and no clicks.
Were you previously using Broad, Phrase, or Exact?

I saw your post re: advertising budget in another thread. Are you taking your Adwords traffic to the relevant content, a landing page, or to your site's home page?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 1.5% of my impressions are turned into clicks. It's tough to get people clicking. It CAN lead to some clients, but for me it doesn't seem to get me a noticeable number of people calling. I have done a lot of advertising on facebook with different groups around my city. I keep bumping the posts and it turns 20 people/day to my site for free. I have got a few new clients from that. Think outside of the box the best you can. As for pay per click I don't seem to get much if anything from it.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
I have a 0.97% CTR and average CPC of $2.78
Wow, I just paid $18 for 1 click yesterday... I must be doing something seriously wrong. Thoughts
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasterlc View Post
Wow, I just paid $18 for 1 click yesterday... I must be doing something seriously wrong. Thoughts
What was the keyword?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Were you previously using Broad, Phrase, or Exact?

I saw your post re: advertising budget in another thread. Are you taking your Adwords traffic to the relevant content, a landing page, or to your site's home page?
I was using Broad Match. I read Perry Marshalls book and it has helped me some. On my Lawn ads I am taking them right to my lawn care page. On my Brick Paver ad I am taking right to my brick page.

my click through is still under 1 percent. And i am not even making it up to my daily maximum. Not sure why. Very Frustrating but having someone else run my adwords account is not an option as they want like $500/month plus the click fees.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I was using Broad Match. I read Perry Marshalls book and it has helped me some. On my Lawn ads I am taking them right to my lawn care page. On my Brick Paver ad I am taking right to my brick page.

my click through is still under 1 percent. And i am not even making it up to my daily maximum. Not sure why. Very Frustrating but having someone else run my adwords account is not an option as they want like $500/month plus the click fees.
It's interesting that you're not hitting your daily budget. Where is your ad ranking? Are you at the top or are you relegated to the sidebar?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
What was the keyword?
lawn service