Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Material logistics

I'm looking at a tandem axle truck with piggy back forklift. We need a better solution for distributing sod and other product to our job sites.

Anyone have experience with these? Any better solutions?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know where you'll be at price wise between the two but I would prefer a roll off if you generally have the room on a job site. The truck you're talking about is kind of limited by being a flat bed but with a roll off it works as a dump truck and can also drop an entire box of mulch etc to keep a site clean. I don't have any experience with it in the green industry but have used roll offs in construction and they work pretty slick once you're outfitted for your needs. If you've read ETW's thread he had great luck with roll offs.

If you have multiple sod jobs going at once that may not be your best answer because the bed is stuck there until they get it unloaded and you still don't have a way to move the sod to where you're installing it but at least you can get the sod to the job site and have the truck in service for other jobs. The more different uses you can get out of any piece of equipment the less time it will spend sitting.