Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 PM

Safety Spotlight - Assisting Lean With Wedges

Here is a very good article from a recent issue of Tree Services Magazine, written by Michael Tain....

Unlike their peers in the logging industry, who typically work in rural, isolated locations with few objects that can be broken or destroyed other than themselves or other trees; tree care professionals working in urban and suburban settings tend to conduct their work in a “target-rich environment,” surrounded by man-made objects and structures that....

To read the entire article go to the link below....

http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/article.php?id=2008
Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Wedges do help, however if you want to do it right and not worry about a gust of wind, use a winch or a come-along…..depending on the lean and size of tree.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 PM

wedges are nice but in the cityythey are most useful for stumps and not pnchhing when felling a nice size tree.winchs- ropes and come alongs are the best in the city.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC TREE MATA View Post
wedges are nice but in the cityythey are most useful for stumps and not pnchhing when felling a nice size tree.winchs- ropes and come alongs are the best in the city.
Rope come alongs with a extra pulley can gets some major mechincal advantage.

I normally use both but it really depends on the situation, every situation is different.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:41 PM

I like to use my GRCS. Mount it on a tree. Wrap it crank it. Cut it. TIMBER. trying to locate pics of this.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
I like to use my GRCS. Mount it on a tree. Wrap it crank it. Cut it. TIMBER. trying to locate pics of this.
Ah that is awesome and a great way to obtain a to of pull.

I use a Maasdam and if I really need some pull I will add a pulley in the system picked it up from another site and it is a great way obtain the extra pull...

Of course if you own a GRCS, forget about the maadam...

The GRCS are one awesome and uniqure piece of machine.

What question I do have about it and not trying to change the thread..how long is the strap to go around the tree?

Mike
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM

I dont know exactly how long the strap is. But I did have it around a 5 ft stem. And had lots left. LOTS. Its gotta be 25+ft.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I dont know exactly how long the strap is. But I did have it around a 5 ft stem. And had lots left. LOTS. Its gotta be 25+ft.
5 ft in diameter or circumfrance?

25' plus is a good thing, I was more than sure they put a ton in there but always wondered how large and how if at all you could make it larger.

I very valuable piece of equipment you have there though.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonbc View Post
5 ft in diameter or circumfrance?
Sorry Diameter. I wish I had pic of it, but I started brushing the tree out by myself on a day off and the next day I had help for the rigging and just wanted to get it done. Wound up with 4 loads (6.5 yrds each) of would chips and 14 loads of wood. Took all week (after work)
Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry Diameter. I wish I had pic of it, but I started brushing the tree out by myself on a day off and the next day I had help for the rigging and just wanted to get it done. Wound up with 4 loads (6.5 yrds each) of would chips and 14 loads of wood. Took all week (after work)
Whew...that must have been a huge canopy...ya I saw the pictures of your Ford Morbark set up...I like it a lot. That is a lot of chips you guys had...14 loads of wood, did you firewood it all and then load it in your truck?

A lot of wood, alot of wood.