Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonbc View Post
Awesome.

I love to talk trees, equipment and work in general.

I am still young but slowly growing.

How long have you been in the tree care industry now?
I have been in the business just about 40 years.

I will be 60 years old in Feb. but can go out the door right now and run 6 miles at 7 and a half mins/per pace easily and lift weights and play high level racquetball. I can climb all day but do not need to because of aerial lift trucks I have.

I look forward to work every day. This a great vocation.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Hi there. 1st post here. Thought I'd chime in on the mini talk. I have a Ramrod 900 with one of Daves grapples and it is an awesome machine. Wouldn't want to be in the tree biz with out one now that I've used it. I am getting out of the biz but if I ever get back in the 1st two things I'll buy will be a big chipper and a mini with bmg grapple.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Hi there. 1st post here. Thought I'd chime in on the mini talk. I have a Ramrod 900 with one of Daves grapples and it is an awesome machine. Wouldn't want to be in the tree biz with out one now that I've used it. I am getting out of the biz but if I ever get back in the 1st two things I'll buy will be a big chipper and a mini with bmg grapple.
Hey canuck, welcome to the site :waving:...glad you found your way here and we are glad to have you.

So, what made you decide to get out of the biz?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:07 PM

Welcome too Canuck. I am curious too. Seems like you are making comeback plans already. :walking:
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 PM

Really just kind of lost interest. Been in business for 6 years. More or less have my area sewn up and have become the #1 local tree service. But I'm 31 years old and bored. I'm not challenged anymore and I'm having a really hard time staying motivated. So I've decided its time for a change. Maybe in a couple of years I'll change my mind and come back but for now I figure I'm young why not explore my options. Been thinking about it for the better part of the last year and then recently I was given a really good offer to be a rep for an insurance company. So I figure what the hell, I'm going to go try earning money with my brain instead of my back for a while. If I don't like it the trees will still be here.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
I have been in the business just about 40 years.

I will be 60 years old in Feb. but can go out the door right now and run 6 miles at 7 and a half mins/per pace easily and lift weights and play high level racquetball. I can climb all day but do not need to because of aerial lift trucks I have.

I look forward to work every day. This a great vocation.
That is awesome.

That is moving whether your 60 or 23. When i ran cross country we were running 10-12 miles at 6 50 pace that was a good work out. I don't run that hard any more. Sprained my ankle and has not been the same since. I can run 4-5 miles really hard and then it just KILLS!!!

I hope to some day been in the shoes your in.

Awesome.

How do you like the Ram Rod 900?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Really just kind of lost interest. Been in business for 6 years. More or less have my area sewn up and have become the #1 local tree service. But I'm 31 years old and bored. I'm not challenged anymore and I'm having a really hard time staying motivated. So I've decided its time for a change. Maybe in a couple of years I'll change my mind and come back but for now I figure I'm young why not explore my options. Been thinking about it for the better part of the last year and then recently I was given a really good offer to be a rep for an insurance company. So I figure what the hell, I'm going to go try earning money with my brain instead of my back for a while. If I don't like it the trees will still be here.
Shame to lose all those clients you attained. Many years ago I was feeling like you then I decided to devote myself to learn about tree health. I started going to every Alex Shigo seminar and bought all his books. I now have a huge library of various tree health, anatomy, physiology, and tree care and ID books. It makes it a whole new ball game and you become much more than a tree laborer, you become more of a tree doctor. There is no way to get bored or ever learn it all.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonbc View Post
That is awesome.

That is moving whether your 60 or 23. When i ran cross country we were running 10-12 miles at 6 50 pace that was a good work out. I don't run that hard any more. Sprained my ankle and has not been the same since. I can run 4-5 miles really hard and then it just KILLS!!!

I hope to some day been in the shoes your in.

Awesome.

How do you like the Ram Rod 900?
My son runs cross country and track for a small college. This weekend we get to drive out into the country to watch one of his meets. Really enjoy this yearly. He ran his 5 mile meet last week in 28. which is a 5.6 pace. Nothing earth shaking but good for him. I don't run that hard much, but usually jog 5 miles or so. One of my favorite books was by a guy named Henderson (I think) called something like LSD Running and it speaks of the pleasure of running Long Slow Distance and the benefits.

I am not familar with the Ramrod 900 but have heard real good things about the Ramrod while searching for a mini skid. I bought this one partly because of the local outlet. I have a shot at buying a used MT I believe I was told, that I am going to check out. I would like to have one on each crew in a perfect world.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
My son runs cross country and track for a small college. This weekend we get to drive out into the country to watch one of his meets. Really enjoy this yearly. He ran his 5 mile meet last week in 28. which is a 5.6 pace. Nothing earth shaking but good for him. I don't run that hard much, but usually jog 5 miles or so. One of my favorite books was by a guy named Henderson (I think) called something like LSD Running and it speaks of the pleasure of running Long Slow Distance and the benefits.

I am not familar with the Ramrod 900 but have heard real good things about the Ramrod while searching for a mini skid. I bought this one partly because of the local outlet. I have a shot at buying a used MT I believe I was told, that I am going to check out. I would like to have one on each crew in a perfect world.
Best of Luck to your son.

That is not bad, faster then I could I could ever move. I PR 5 miles at 29.34 normally high 29's low 30's. I wish I could still run like I was once able too, I have another doctor visit in 3 weeks to look at it again. A month after I did it, the doctor was able to pull my ankle over two inches out of the socket and shake it around. I don't remember the names off the top of my head of all that was torn. Surgery is an opition but in day to day work and shorter runs it doesnt bug me.

I have heard of that book, my old cross country coach actually read it about 3-4 months ago and really enjoyed it. it is true. I think my favorite running move was With of Limits and the story of Steve Pre Fontane.

MT? unfamilar with that company or acronym

Mike
Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM

The 900 is a good little machine. The diesel models can lift more but the 900 gets the job done. You can actually drag a lot of weight with it. So putting logs on a trailer is easy. Just drag and place one end on the trailer then pick up the other end and push.