Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Thank you. We split 3 cords and loaded two of them by hand. a conveyor shour would help.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM

I have pondered many different jobs. I have a full time job but wouldn't mind something on the side to earn extra cash. I'm not in the tree service business but I enjoy cutting wood. I would like to start a business doing this but I don't have the wood. What and where would be a good place to start looking for wood and I don't have to pay for?

PS I have a plow on my truck and that did come across my mind to starting a business doing that but look out for the insurance. It would have cost me over $2400 a year.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Up in your neck of the woods you should be able to find a logging company that sells firewood by the log truck load. I used to purchase it like that when I lived up north. It cost me 400 per truck load, each load was between 6 and 8 cords (log form). Cut, split and delivered @ 150/cord (back then) you would turn your $400 investement into $900. Now days wood is being sold 200 to 225/cord. Thats 1200 or better for the investment. Havent priced a load in a while but I would imagine that it went up too (maybe 500/load)
Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 PM

wow, around here a cord goes for about 300 delivered.

we do landscaping mostly but use and sell firewood. We have a close relationship with 2 local tree companies who provide us with the wood. All we take from them is hardwoods, which around here is oak and maple primarily. Our firewood stock is comprised of 90% oak, and 8% maple with the rest being locust and other assorted wood, but no pine.

The guys call us, we show up on site with our dump truck and load up the pieces which we will help them cut, usually down to 16" lengths. Take the loads home and in our backyard we have an older mtd 25 ton splitter which we picked up for $600 about 2 years ago. My grandfather bought a new 25 ton splitter and ours is faster and stronger curiously. At the end of the day, or when we are slow, my father does most of the splitting and at any given time we have approximately 10 cords in our backyard. We dry them for 2 seasons, we dont pile our wood, everything is stacked with proper airflow in consideration and have overhead covering so the rain wont trickle down through the stacks. In the winter we use a wood burning stove in our basement which is kept at approx 85* and the upstairs is about 70*, our gas bill last winter totaled 20 bucks. We sell about 10 cords as well throughout the year every eyar to family friends who have wood burning stoves as well. There is increasing demand for firewood around here and I see prices going to 325 a cord easily this winter. Since we get everything for free and split everything in our off time, our only expenses are the fuel for the dump truck hauling the wood in and fuel for splitter and saws.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
Don't know if never on the board means this topic is undesirable but with the cost of heating oil and (in my area) the huge loss of mature trees it is nice to see wood being used productively.

Just added a 24 foot conveyor to my Timberwolf tw5 with all the options and will pick it up Sat. Anyone else care to discuss this money making alternative?
Sweet conveyor! I'm waiting until I can find a used one. I've missed a few on CL and ebay here and there. I have the same splitter and love it. I do around 50 cords +/- with the TW-5. I have both wedges, the log lift and the table grate. I can back my dump trailer right up to the table grate and go to town.

My simple theory with firewood, the less you have to handle it, the better. I don't stack it, I pile it with my grapple bucket on my bobcat. I load my trailer the same way, then stack accordingly for accurate cords.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Well this year we've had plenty of snow. Makes ya kind of wish you bought a new plow and got right into it but who knows what will happen next year.

Firewood though is a good business once you can get the word out there so it's a constant split and sell and not have to sit on piles of it waiting for someone to call.