Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Ash Borers Spreading Across The Country

Anybody having any problems with these? Solutions to get rid of them ?

Bloomington eyes removal of 3,400 ash trees
By M.K. Guetersloh
mkguetersloh@pantagraph.com

BLOOMINGTON -- The invasion of the emerald ash borer will force the City Council to plan for the removal and replacement of about 3,400 trees. | ARCHIVE: Insects' arrival could result in quarantine | Blog: Ash borer treatment tips

At a work session Monday, the council learned there are few options for treating and saving ash trees once ash borer arrives.

Bloomington Parks and Recreation Director Dean Kohn said the city is “looking at a total loss for our ash tree population.”

More than 2,300 ash trees are planted along the city streets and another 1,064 are in the city’s parks and golf courses.

“Just in Forrest and Miller parks we have 300 ash trees,” Kohn said. “It will be quite a project to take them down.”

How much it will cost the city has not been figured and will depend on how the City Council decides to approach the problem, said City Manager Tom Hamilton.

“But clearly the city is looking at a significant budget impact because it will not only have to remove the trees but make sure the disposal is handled properly and then replant,” Hamilton said.

Treating the trees is a possibility, said Paul Deizman, the emerald ash borer program manager for the Illinois Department of Agriculture. However, he said the two primary treatments – insecticides either injected into the trees or poured at the base of the tree — are still new and the long-term results are unproven.

“As an agency we are asking you to consider destroying your ash trees,” Deizman said. “At this time we have no way to eradicate this bug.”

Two ash borers were found in a trap southwest of Bloomington and that prompted the department to conduct a survey of the area. Deizman said it appears Chenoa is a location where the ash borer is heavily invested.

Most trees will stay green for four to five years before the borer kills them and the borers could have been in Chenoa for six to eight years, he added.

The borers could have migrated naturally to Bloomington-Normal in that period of time or it could have hitchhiked on a load of wood.

Deizman said the area will be placed under a quarantine which will prohibit people from taking the wood of local ash trees out of the area.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Just have to cut out the trees in the area thats is infected. Look at colorado and the lodge pole pines. arkansas has whole forest of red oaks and pines just trashed from these bugs. i say buy american and quit getting all these wood crates from other countries with new bugs.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 AM

Yea, we are still losing Pine to wood borers. I have a couple of them dying in my back yard to go along with the few that are long gone
Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 AM

The Ash Borer has desimated these trees in michigan. They (michigan government) had set up a removal project but I believe it fell to the wayside. They tried to quarintine the south east part of the state, with some sucsess.
Even the trees that were treated early on are falling to these critters.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM

The best of treatments take 10 to 20 percent hit and over a few seasons this adds up to demise. There are con artists running around areas that have not even been hit yet claiming 100% control guarantee but researchers and I have email contact with one say otherwise. I think that they have in the contract that money will be refunded if tree dies but they have to contract with that company for removal and likely the refunded $s are made up at that time and then some.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 AM

Tree age has been out for over a year now and has a 95%+ control for EAB.
Check this out
http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/x/2008a/08...Treatment.html
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM

I read that art. when it came out early this year Russ and e mailed a contact friend I have at Ohio State, a lead researcher for verification. It was said that yes, 1 test did come up 95 per cent but other ones were in the low 70's which is very similar to injections of immidacloprid. The newest research has yet to be released this year although earlier this month at a seminar in Dayton Oh. they were to release some of it verbally I was told. I could not attend as we were hit by a hurricane and we are too busy to take 2 days off.

I am going to e mail him and see what I missed. Did anyone here attend? You Russ?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
I read that art. when it came out early this year Russ and e mailed a contact friend I have at Ohio State, a lead researcher for verification. It was said that yes, 1 test did come up 95 per cent but other ones were in the low 70's which is very similar to injections of immidacloprid. The newest research has yet to be released this year although earlier this month at a seminar in Dayton Oh. they were to release some of it verbally I was told. I could not attend as we were hit by a hurricane and we are too busy to take 2 days off.

I am going to e mail him and see what I missed. Did anyone here attend? You Russ?

hey treevet, I know it's been awhile but I thought I'd bump this back up to see if you had any updates or what you found...thought you may want to share :p
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donovan View Post
hey treevet, I know it's been awhile but I thought I'd bump this back up to see if you had any updates or what you found...thought you may want to share :p
No Mike, he, Dan Herms, E mailed me a week or so ago and apologized for not getting back to me but would soon. I think this may be busy time for them analyzing results ( I'm just guessing) and projecting, etc. I have still been too busy to pursue existence of any new literature but I'll be back here if I've got anything. We haven't been hit yet and everything seems to be in suspended animation. Attachment 214

Attachment 215 Me in my lab (joke) checking like I quite often do.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 AM

gotcha ;)

maybe when he gets back to you, you could update us?