Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

absolutely :dancing:
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM

We have them in northern Ohio. They put a ban on moving ash wood south of Cuyahoga County.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Trunk injection to control EAB does work. Eradication is not the only answer. You need to use all the "tools" you have when dealing w/an invasive like this. In a forest setting, sure cut down the infested trees, injection is not practical. However in an urban setting, I have in the neighborhood of 300 healthy, strong Ash that we have been injecting since 2000 and we are in "ground zero" of the original infestation. The key is beginning treatment prior to the vascular tissue being heavily comprimized, since you depend on healthy zylem to move your product. Since the insect begins its attacks in the upper canopy (3/4" branches) the tree needs to be able to move the product out to that point. I have used the wedgle injection system, Mauget and Arbor jet, of the 3 I have found the wedgle to be most effective. When discussing Tree-age, which I began using in 2008, I have found it to have an interesting drawback, that is, it seems to stop "entering" the tree at about 75% completion of the recommended dose. I have no idea why. Anyway I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents to this discussion since I've been dealing w/EAB for so long, our inital injections were done in 1999. You guys in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana are going to have your hands full, I wish you well. One more piece of advice, don't try to save every Ash, pick your high-value trees and save those. The biggest mistake you can make is to think any product or method is a "silver bullet".