Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM

what starter climbing saddle/harness would you all recommend

I am looking to get a new climbing saddle/harness. The one I have is deteriorating. It is an older leather one unsure of the maker.

I got it when I worked at a tree service years ago. It was just an old harness one of the other guys gave me.

Looking for more of a starter harness and will upgrade as we get more jobs. Just don't want to invest to much right now. since I am also looking at getting some gaffs and as I said in the other post I am looking at getting some new rope.

Remember we only did a few trees in the past so never had a need for all the equipment because if it was beyond our equipment we just didn't do it.

Thanks again for any hep you all can give us.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM

there is not any starter equipment for tree trimmers. you either have the right equipment or go back to winging it. you wanna come up to kc for a weekend day and watch us and see what you need? if so give me a shout. we have the next 2 months booked solid 7 days weather permitting.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Thanks KC

I didn't mean starter that is just what came out. But like I said the old harness I have just feels like it is past its time and if I am going to start going up in trees on a somewhat regular basis (3-4) month maybe more. This will be the second this month and it is for a customer who refers us alot for landscaping but didn't know we where going to start doing tree's already.

But we keep getting so many requests this year from customers we decided we might as well. We were hoping to find a climber first. so I can be on the ground. But haven't gotten any real bites. Everyone wants the 20+ an hour but no one has any experience.

Somehow they think we are going to pay them $25 an hour for dragging brush. (ain't happening)
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC TREE MATA View Post
there is not any starter equipment for tree trimmers. you either have the right equipment or go back to winging it. you wanna come up to kc for a weekend day and watch us and see what you need? if so give me a shout. we have the next 2 months booked solid 7 days weather permitting.
I might take you up on that. Just not sure when we will have a break ourselves.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 PM

I like the saddles wii the sliding rings in the center. Easier for ropes to be put to your side while walking a limb. But everyone has a preference on saddles and it varies from person to person. Good luck and dont take offense if us tree guys are hard on you lawn guys. We are very protective of our trade:clapping:
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM

I hear ya. Out here most of the tree guys don't have insurance or anything though. Plus when I watch some of these guys who have been in business a few years and they seem to know less then I do about tree work and I haven't work for a tree company in 7 years.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM

When I started I had a Weaver indipendent leg strap floating D. It was alright and got the job done. Much better saddles now. Now, got the Butterfly II. Gotta say its worth the money 275 or so. But, as said before, it fits my climbing style, it might not fit yours.
Will suggest, if you like to stand whenever you can legstraps are the way to go. If you tend to acctually sit in your saddle all the time butt strap will treat you better.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Yeah I was thinking of staying with leg straps because I do stand more then sit when cutting.

Thank squirrel
Old 09-27-2008, 06:59 AM

We have a huge choice of harness systems over here in the UK from fixed d's to sliding ones and we now have them comming out that are made of carbon fibre to keep the weight down?!!! Personally i use a Weaver 1038 it is padded leather with seperate leg straps - no sit strap as i find it restrictive! sliding d's. The problem we have over here is that we cannot use any equipment that is not stamped with a CE mark - this is a european safety mark, the ANSI mark that you guys have is better than the CE for standards but it is not recognised here in the UK!!! Weaver harness sells for around $290/300 here but i got mine for $90ish in the US in February - yes everything is far more expensive here - you think youre gas prices are high!!!! We are paying approx $12 a gallon right now and it is due to go up!!!!!:cry::cry: Anyways back to the subject - a harness is a matter of personal chioce, if your arborist supply wants a sale they should let you have a quick try before you buy also think about your method of climbing does the harness you want suit it? - you have got to wear and use it - if it aint right dont get it!!!!!
Andy.