Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM

What is the difference between the leight weight model and the regular

Hey anyone know what the difference betwwen the lightweight model 192 and the regular model?

I looked on their site but could not find it.

Also what size bar do you all recommend for the 192 t I was thinking of going with the 14" but might get the 12".

What do you all think. is the extra 2" on the bar worth the extra weight?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM

Do yourself a favor, and buy a ms200 its worth the difference in price. I have a 192 and it is a dud :cry:. No power, doesnt turn as fast (revs) just not a good buy :cry:. Never heard of the light weight model but would imagine it has more plastic that the regular already has. If you must mine has a 14" maybe a 12" might pep it up a little. 200 is the way to go.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM

yeah I know the 200t is way better, I was going to buy one but I think I am Going to wait till I get beack into the swing of things it has been 7 years since I climbed So I am a little rusty. Also I only climbed for about 6 months or so.

The 200t can really put a hurting on ya if you aren't used to it.

I was also thinking about a cs 330t

But am not sure. Supposedly they are going to have some big discounts on stihl next weekend at our dealers open house. So we will see. They will also have one of the Stihl traveling trailers there so you can try out all the different equipment. So I might change my mind after trying it out.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM

I really would like to stay away from husky's because of bad experience with them, but what do you all think of the 334t or the 338xpt?

Thanks again
Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 AM

We have one 338 where I work and it seems to be alright. Everyone uses the 200s though. I had a 335 back in the day and promised myself I would never buy a husky climbing saw again. They had great power, not as balanced as the 200 but not bad and they went through the tree better. But the big defect . . . THEY DIDNT OIL. I sent mine in to get fixed came back guess what . . . IT STILL DIDNT OIL. 200 is in the budget for me next year. I would rather wait and buy a good saw then suffer because I have a crappy one (which I am doing now). But its all ok I didnt buy it.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM

I have the money for a 200t just a little worried about it getting away from me at first.

You know when you don't respect and/or fear your equipment. That is when it gets you.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM

I have been a loyal Stihl user for 20years and although i had a couple of really old husky's (backups) i really did not like husky's at all, however over the years i have found stihls are great until they start to go wrong - once they have been in the shop for repair they never seem to be the same - last year i had a big fall out with our local dealer and the stihl agent over two of my 088's blowing the pistons and barrels and at $1400 per saw per repair (5times!!!!) i was getting sick of it. I stuck my neck on the line and changed my entire saw stock over to husky's:confused: although through first use they didnt seem as robust as a stihl now the engines have bedded in they seem to have lots more power. The 338xpt brand new edition is balanced far better than the ms200 as both fuel and oil are at the front of the saw. The other bonus so far is that whatever has broken has been replaced from husky free of charge:dancing: only time will tell wether i made the right choice - anyways the crews dont know i kept all the old stihl saws just incase!!!!:laugh: I think all saws are a personal choice - get feedback from your staff see what they prefer too.

Andy.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

never had any 088 problems. that seems odd. i have an 090 decades old that has had no problems other than an anti vibe mount. you may either have a bad mechanic or your crew is hard on your stuff? i have a small business (very high end though) and nobody runs my big saws except maybe to cut a stump when i am around. i have owned just about every saw stihl has ever made i think except the HO models.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Hello,

First post on the sight.

I had a 330T...STAY AWAY is all the advice i have.

I know a couple guys who love the 360T but i haven't met anyone to like the 330. Power of it, weight of the saw.

Nicest climbing saw I have ever used is a 200T.
I use a 192 with a 14'' I like it a lot. When gets into a bigger wood haul up the 260 pro with either a 16'' or a 20'' bar on it. Anything bigger than that gets the 441. Wish i had a 660 sometimes but that is another story.

To answer your question, you said you have the money go big if you getting back into this full time. Chain saws are a long term investment and not always easy to sell and can be hard to get that return when you sell it.

I would suggest going the 200T taking it easy for a while and then go for it.

Just a suggestion, and your situation

Mike
Canyonbc
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Among other reasons, with a ms 200 you can get through a cut on a lateral situated branch in a tree before the tip passes the butt where you are cutting and make it belly flop on the ground (land flat). With slower cutting saws like the cheaper quality offering from Stihl, the tip will pass the butt and when the branch lands on the tip all kinds of bad things can happen as there is no guessing where it will come to rest. It can even sometimes be "heaved" or thrown as the holding wood will hinge and release and throw it into a house or garage or toward your unexpecting help.