Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
never had any 088 problems. that seems odd. i have an 090 decades old that has had no problems other than an anti vibe mount. you may either have a bad mechanic or your crew is hard on your stuff? i have a small business (very high end though) and nobody runs my big saws except maybe to cut a stump when i am around. i have owned just about every saw stihl has ever made i think except the HO models.
Hi Treevet, we have to rely heavilly on the 88's for section felling/ blocking down large timber - it is pretty full on using this saw at 70' with a 72" bar!!! As i said i have been a true loyal Stihl user for many years now and the problem is quite common in these models of a certain age here in the UK. The problem lies with stihl UK - they recalled some but not all and although the acknowledge the saws have this problem they will not rectify it. As the repair cost were so high i approached stihl and qualified for thier in-house course for the 88's so the repairs can be done at our own depot. Since we have carried our own installation we have had no problems. We spend alot of money with Stihl year after year and i thought thier attitude was all wrong, thats what made me change. We are a medium size company again working for very high end including the Royal Crown and if any of my guys treated any of the equipment badly they would be out like lightening!!! I run a very tight ship, the guys get paid very well and get well looked after, in return they treat this company with the greatest respect.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.baynes View Post
Hi Treevet, we have to rely heavilly on the 88's for section felling/ blocking down large timber - it is pretty full on using this saw at 70' with a 72" bar!!! As i said i have been a true loyal Stihl user for many years now and the problem is quite common in these models of a certain age here in the UK. The problem lies with stihl UK - they recalled some but not all and although the acknowledge the saws have this problem they will not rectify it. As the repair cost were so high i approached stihl and qualified for thier in-house course for the 88's so the repairs can be done at our own depot. Since we have carried our own installation we have had no problems. We spend alot of money with Stihl year after year and i thought thier attitude was all wrong, thats what made me change. We are a medium size company again working for very high end including the Royal Crown and if any of my guys treated any of the equipment badly they would be out like lightening!!! I run a very tight ship, the guys get paid very well and get well looked after, in return they treat this company with the greatest respect.
I understand completely Andy. It is a pleasure to associate with you on here I might add.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Thankyou,:clapping: it is nice to join in with issues with you all, it is always dificult when your in another country! I just think it is good for all to find out how things differ, practices, theories and safety issues (i havent even began with that yet!!!)
I am fourtunate of being able to be in the US two to three times a year and hook up with various tree guys and get as much info as i can and likewise give it back!
It is funny how both UK & US are advanced in some areas and way behind in others, i do find it a great bonus to learn (as you never stop!) from as many different sources as possible and in turn give it back.:dancing:
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM

(like exercise) "Learn 'til hit hurts" Alex Shigo

No pain.....no gain
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM

I hear yer dont matter how long in the business you never stop learning - that is what i think makes the arb world unique.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.baynes View Post
I hear yer dont matter how long in the business you never stop learning - that is what i think makes the arb world unique.
+ 2.........

Had a three hour conversation with a friend and another company owner in town exactly about this subject. We are all in this tree care/service industry together and we need to help each other out.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Maybe compare it to a tree. The tree initially puts growth in unseen areas. Roots, structural and fibrous are growing and people often say, "that damn tree is not doing very well". Then it explodes with canopy (relate to intellectual) growth after it's growth (learning) base has been established.

The more you learn, I believe, the more exponentially one is capable of further learning.

It becomes fun too. Especially on a good forum. :D