Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 AM

Old old school with a taut line. I use a spreader snap for comfort (I get hip blisters sometimes in the spring) and often have 2 ropes on very large spread trees. Spreader snap is great for tossing when back wrapped and tail captured in snap. Old school does not mean slower but does mean less complicated. Sorry TDTS (my pal) but the words "Chinese fire drill" come to mind with that picture. I know you haven't been doing this tech. for very long.

Use mini cender with lanyard (s). Enter the tree by ladder, bucket, crane, footlock (with double cender), free climb (belayed with cl. line pre installed) or any way that is safe and quick relative to the circumstances.

Seat saddles (numerous). Safety blue braid. Old school as I said. :D

git er dun!:dancing:
Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 AM

I think old school means you have to make a living and no do the chinese fire drill, LOLOL thats a good one, my climber gets his wings trimed today = less gear for sure
Old 11-05-2008, 08:09 AM

Yeah Gail, let's look at some more qualities, etc. that make a good climber.

Strength to weight ratio is very important. Equipment along with technique that has evolved from experience with some of it derived from advice and some from talent. Having nerve to progress in steps to higher levels. Persistence, sobriety, intelligence, common sense, adaptability, .....

Anyone want to ad to this?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 AM

moral fortitude, training, the will to survive.

I tell new guys that " want to learn to climb" that it goes 2 ways, you get a rush and love it or your knees shake and your a ground man from then on!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM

sobriety, dont even go there or your fired!!! if you drink then dont apply, do drugs and I call the cops!!!! maybe give a beating to them and then get the cops!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Treevet, did I say that I used the hybrid system? The original purpose of this thread was to discuss different systems used to work in trees. I personally know 3 of the best climbers in the Prairie Chapter that use that system. Granted, they don't use it in every tree they work, BUT, it is an option.

Perhaps IF you kept an open mind, and tried things that might make your job easier, you might be in a better mood. Ego is the most common problem in the tree industry. Sorry I tried to make things easier for the folks who want tree work to be their career. I know you have been in the game 4 times as long as I have, I just hope that a swollen head doesn't come with longevity in the industry.

Keep up the good work treevet!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM

We're in a forum and I merely commented on your comments (and picture). No ego, just my opinion.

Someone piss in your Wheaties this morning? :laugh:

Feel free to comment on any of my set up. I can take it, I am a big boy! :dancing:
Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Just going to insert my two sence here... Old school is great. I use it once in a blue moon, when I need to double croch and I aint got the gear I need to do it the easy way. Im not trying to piss anyone off :D. But there is a reason why old school arborists dont hold up (Treevet you are the exception). Most old arborists I have spoken too or worked with all have aillments. Back, knees, and anything else that could hurt. Most of the break down and cant do it or even keep up. (treevet i did say you were the exception). My old boss was 55 at the time and it was funny to watch him work. Old school all the way, and just old. The guy had every aillment there is. I attribute that to doing the work the only way he knew how, the hard way. There are many easyer ways of doing our work then the OLD way. He was just toooo pig headed to try something new. We are just trying to help out, make your evenings more enjoyable (less painful) (treevet excluded of course). One last note, anyone got the name of one world champion in the last 10 years that won the championship on a strait tautline old school set up. Or even a blakes hitch with a split tail. THERE IS A REASON. The newer ways are MORE efficiant.

Excuse the spelling*trucewhiteflag*
Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
One last note, anyone got the name of one world champion in the last 10 years that won the championship on a strait tautline old school set up. Or even a blakes hitch with a split tail. THERE IS A REASON.
Reason: They're all out in the real world making money doing tree work. :D

No offense, Flying squirrel, and thanks for excluding me from the downtrodden. Hey, I work out! :walking:
Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 AM

I need to apologize for ridiculing my friend's picture as a Chinese water torture or something like that. :D

But let's go ahead and discuss just what makes these esoteric systems "more efficient" and, I think was said, faster.

This set up of TD's and Flying squirrel's set up when removing 2 what appears to be fairly routine crane removals seem to me to be non efficient in their complicatedness. I can see alternatives in large decurrent pruning jobs, but a spiked removal with a crane (or not), seems slow, slow, slow and maybe dangerously overly involved (and unnecessarily). I am listening.

Attachment 202