Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Dave, you are correct! There are several ways to "skin a cat", just as there are many ways to work a tree. I agree, use the most efficient way possible.

The advantages of the more advanced climbing methods are for those finesse climbing jobs. For old farts like me (with my many war injuries) if I have to enter the tree from a ways away from the trunk (with no access for machinery), I could footlock (like sloth and waste energy) OR I could use the RAD system (my personal choice), OR even use the Hybrid system. The fact is that the more advanced system, by having the climber using their WHOLE body, preserves energy for working the tree.

The other reason that the SRT methods are efficient is that you don't have to monkey around isolating both ends of the rope, AND installing a FS/cambium saver. Like you say "on removals" git r dun. Crane/Bucket etc. are real handy tools, BUT unlike you and me (equipment overload-manpower shy) there ARE folks out there that don't have access to that much equipment.

The three guys I know that use the hybrid system are very experienced tree workers. Frank Chipps (former world record holder in FL) and one of his employees (2007 Prairie chapter rep to the ITCC), climb trees every day for a living. Frank doesn't own a BT, even though he could probably afford one. The other fellow (2008 rep to the ITCC) teaches climbing at Olds college, and works 5 months a year as a climber.

Yup, as we age we look for better ways to do things, I wouldn't be suggesting changing IF I hadn't tried it out. I also would let ya know if it wasn't making life easier. We develop comfort in the things we do well, but if something new comes along, I like to judge it for myself.;)

On another note, I have NEVER been paid to climb a tree. I get paid for what do to the trees. Trust me, I have more work to do than I have time left on this world, I need to be as efficient as possible.*trucewhiteflag*
Old 11-09-2008, 04:10 PM

TreeVet,
I guess a little explanation is nessicary with that pic. Im sorry I didnt before. The sysem pictured is called a "Monkies Tail" (the short piece of line with the ring). The rope is passed around the tree (for me right to left), the ring is passed over the rope back the right side (you could put it there to begin with), the short tail is used to tie a friction hitch (mine is a taught line) on the rope on the left side. Now you can run the rope through the taught line and leave a long tail so it dangles down to your next work location. Your climing hitch (for me a VT) is below the ring. You can now decend to your next work position, cut your notch (if not working with a crane). Now you can pull the ring down too you with the tail you left. Sinch it back to the tree, advance you climbing knot, put your lanyard around and you have 2 points of attachment for your cut. This system allows for several things; 1). If something were to happen to you the rescue is much easyer. your system is set up, your rescuer has only to come up, tie himself in, remove your lanyard and run his and your system. 2). If working with a crane you can set this up once and work the whole trunk. Just keep pulling it down to you. Yea if you wanna spike down each pick more power too ya but this is easy. And you can have this set up and ready before the crane gets back to you. Set your slings and down you go. No need to tie into the false crotch on the crane. 3). If no crane. You can be attached above when makeing your notch on larger wood. Just remember to pull it down too you before you cut the piece off.
P.S. There is NO such thing as a rutine crane removal. You have the crane there for a reason. Somethings not rutine. Anyway when tree work becomes rutine its time to get out of the buis. You are gonna get hurt!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM

When you've been in the bus. for a while you will know what a routine (easy) crane removal is FS. No offense. Everything seems like a big deal early on.
Four hours arrival to departure makes my point. Still say your set up is way too busy and borderline obsessive compulsive. 2 chokes on every pick as well. Excuse me if it is a little amusing.

You're doing a good job tho. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDTS View Post
Dave, you are correct! There are several ways to "skin a cat", just as there are many ways to work a tree. I agree, use the most efficient way possible.

The advantages of the more advanced climbing methods are for those finesse climbing jobs. For old farts like me (with my many war injuries) if I have to enter the tree from a ways away from the trunk (with no access for machinery), I could footlock (like sloth and waste energy) OR I could use the RAD system (my personal choice), OR even use the Hybrid system. The fact is that the more advanced system, by having the climber using their WHOLE body, preserves energy for working the tree.

The other reason that the SRT methods are efficient is that you don't have to monkey around isolating both ends of the rope, AND installing a FS/cambium saver. Like you say "on removals" git r dun. Crane/Bucket etc. are real handy tools, BUT unlike you and me (equipment overload-manpower shy) there ARE folks out there that don't have access to that much equipment.

The three guys I know that use the hybrid system are very experienced tree workers. Frank Chipps (former world record holder in FL) and one of his employees (2007 Prairie chapter rep to the ITCC), climb trees every day for a living. Frank doesn't own a BT, even though he could probably afford one. The other fellow (2008 rep to the ITCC) teaches climbing at Olds college, and works 5 months a year as a climber.

Yup, as we age we look for better ways to do things, I wouldn't be suggesting changing IF I hadn't tried it out. I also would let ya know if it wasn't making life easier. We develop comfort in the things we do well, but if something new comes along, I like to judge it for myself.;)

On another note, I have NEVER been paid to climb a tree. I get paid for what do to the trees. Trust me, I have more work to do than I have time left on this world, I need to be as efficient as possible.*trucewhiteflag*
Good post. Don't agree, but good post.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM

I use a 7.6 mil static line for my climbing rig with a Petzl Ascension and GriGri, 2 points of contact and a footstrap, a Stihl 200T hanging from an old-skool saddle with leather buckstrap.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Welcome Team Green Trees and I like your choice of cities to live in.

Where you located?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
Welcome Team Green Trees and I like your choice of cities to live in.

Where you located?
Thank you for the welcoming. I'm out of Maineville and Goshen (2 offices). Just a little outfit, but we do quite a bit of work.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Green Trees View Post
Thank you for the welcoming. I'm out of Maineville and Goshen (2 offices). Just a little outfit, but we do quite a bit of work.
Pretty turf. I ride my motorcycle out thru there all the time. I am in Wyoming (home/office) and Hartwell (yard). I am small potatoes also but turn over a surprising amount of work too. You get a nice dose of hurricane work?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
Pretty turf. I ride my motorcycle out thru there all the time. I am in Wyoming (home/office) and Hartwell (yard). I am small potatoes also but turn over a surprising amount of work too. You get a nice dose of hurricane work?
Wyoming is a great mature village. Good trees out there. I got a little work directly related to the storm, but have been doing more removals that are still standing. It seems that our bids are too high not to have the risk factor involved. I'd much rather get that check anyways. I certainly THOUGHT I'd be slammed by the storm and have been buying a lot of gas for estimating. How about yourself?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Green Trees View Post
Wyoming is a great mature village. Good trees out there. I got a little work directly related to the storm, but have been doing more removals that are still standing. It seems that our bids are too high not to have the risk factor involved. I'd much rather get that check anyways. I certainly THOUGHT I'd be slammed by the storm and have been buying a lot of gas for estimating. How about yourself?
We have been doing storm work every day since the hurricane and this week is no exception. None of them are on the ground. The first 2 or 3 weeks every day was removing trees laying on or embedded in houses. Very high risk but also very profitable. Had my best month in my 40 year history. Bought lots of new toys. Shopping is most fun. Hunt and kill. I love equipment.

We have been operating in a triage fashion. Now we are often suggesting remedial work on busted up trees. Last week we did a commercial company assisted crane prune job on a giant oak. We also removed a busted up oak over a tennis court that measured 10 feet 10 inches dia at the base last week owned by Jake Sweeney. I don't drive much for estimates as most of my jobs are within 1 to 5 miles away and max of maybe 6 miles (Glendale). Most of these jobs at the beginning required no bid at all as they were just get it of the house and collect from the HO and they go to the ins co. We cut up a few trees inside houses.

Couldn't be a better situation anytime or any place for a tree company that is ready with the equipment and ability to do the work and high level clientel.

It ain't gonna last much through the winter tho.