Register free!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM

recycling wooden pallets

We sell our pallets to a local pallet company for a buck a piece. We could probably get more, but this guy is a customer. After we get 3 stacks of pallets (about 100 pallets total), we call, and they pick them up. Easy, and they are gone/out of our way. BTW most pallet companies prefer the standard size...I think it's 40 X 48 inches?? Anyway, that's what we do.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
We sell our pallets to a local pallet company for a buck a piece. We could probably get more, but this guy is a customer. After we get 3 stacks of pallets (about 100 pallets total), we call, and they pick them up. Easy, and they are gone/out of our way. BTW most pallet companies prefer the standard size...I think it's 40 X 48 inches?? Anyway, that's what we do.
Depending on your area, pallet recycling can be a big business. The standard 40X48 pallets have value, if they can be repaired. They are most often made of hardwood.

Your odd shaped pallets, shipping crates and the like are made out of whatever is available to the shipper. I deliver a lot of my "junk" wood to a company that makes pallets and wooden crates for apples and pears.

Hardwood pallets are great for burning if you can deal with the metal. I know people that put them in their woodstoves and outdoor wood boilers. A magnet easily removes the nails, if you're so inclined.

A destroyed pallet has another valuable use if you can get them in bulk--mulch. Pallets make great colored mulch. Most companies that make these use either a tub grinder or horizontal grinder. A magnetic separator removes the metal and you have a premium finished product, over $40 a yard here.

http://www.rotochopper.com/equipment...ders/mp-2.html

A good example is the little horizontal grinder in the above link. Click on the video to see it devour pallets.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Thanks BPS. Good info. We sometimes get odd-sized pallets, and pallets that are falling apart......... our guy takes them too for repairing other pallets. We like to recycle as much as pssible. There's too much waste going on in this Country already. Thanks.