Register free!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM

saw chain?

I have a Stihl 028 Wood boss,16" bar. I need to know the type of chain to use that would cut thru wood the fastest. Someone told me to use a chain with almost no rise, but I am unsure how that translates into the actual chain model and number to buy? I mostly cut red oak. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:59 PM

If it has a stihl bar on it, it will tell you how many drive links, and the guage of the chain. This is located just ahead of slot for the retaining bolts. This is what chain fits that particular bar. Drive sprockest MUST be matched also. If it is the original bar, NO problem.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Where is the nearest Stihl shop. The guys or gals in the shop are normally quite educational and might be able to help you out the best with that particular saw. At least point you in the right direction, counting drive links, sproket size etc.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 12-25-2008, 09:16 PM

Carlton K3L fastest I have used! Stihl full chisel will be equivelent and Oregon has there version as well as windsor!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 AM

I have heard a lot of guys who like the Carlton chains, where do you buy yours...no one locally that I know carries there chains.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:45 AM

I buy it through my dolmar dealer but it can be had online! It is also sold under diffrent names as well! I am pretty sure the woodsman chain that baileys has is carlton.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrebelmachine View Post
I buy it through my dolmar dealer but it can be had online! It is also sold under diffrent names as well! I am pretty sure the woodsman chain that baileys has is carlton.
I will have to do some research on that.

I am going to have to find a Dolmar dealer, some where haven't really done the research and find out what everyone is talking about.

I here a lot of great things about them.

I just love my Stihl shop.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM

If you are looking for the best chain, you can't beat stihl non safety chain but you will pay good money for a good chain. I have heard that oregon chain (as said before has many diffrent names such as husqvarna and some others) is fairly good, it just dosent hold an edge or have the life expectancy of a stihl chain.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

I agree with what that. Stihl chain is harder and holds an edge for longer. If you use a grinder to sharpen your chain its great. Oregon is easyer to file by hand though. The file also last longer.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM

I mostly run Stihl chain.....am lucky to be in Wa, and get it from Madsen's for about $230/100 feet!!

Oregon has improved their chain, apparantly it's a bit harder now, and maybe stretches less. Whatever, they all cut wood just fine.