Register free!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Only problem with that saver is you need to be reaaaallllllyyyyyy careful. Seen one just like that wrap around the trunk in a climbing situaion an open. It did not dump the line out but it did open. Why take that chance. you only live once. You fall from that thing and you are all done. Why make something yourself and take that chance. There are plenty of great manufacturers of equipment out there. They build it and test it and test it and test it. Before they release it to the industry. Be safe.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
Only problem with that saver is you need to be reaaaallllllyyyyyy careful. Seen one just like that wrap around the trunk in a climbing situaion an open. It did not dump the line out but it did open. Why take that chance. you only live once. You fall from that thing and you are all done. Why make something yourself and take that chance. There are plenty of great manufacturers of equipment out there. They build it and test it and test it and test it. Before they release it to the industry. Be safe.
I have to def. agree it is not worth losing your life.

Just wondering about your story, which I would like to say I am glad to hear all parties were ok. Was it a triple locking snap, or a screw locking snap, or neither.

I have a normal friction saver and it works well, I know they have some nice Adrt, or something along those lines but just darn right pricey.

Mike
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

It was a triple locking snap... As it is supposed to be. Just rolled on the trunk just right and it pushed the gate open.
The ART is awsome. I use one on most climbing that I do. The only thing is you need to find a static way to get in to the tree, because it can not be set from the ground. I have found single line foot lock or double line foot lock to get into the tree and then set it up once in the tree. The double snapper allows for safe retrieval (it has its flaws though). The system is expencive though.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It was a triple locking snap... As it is supposed to be. Just rolled on the trunk just right and it pushed the gate open.
The ART is awsome. I use one on most climbing that I do. The only thing is you need to find a static way to get in to the tree, because it can not be set from the ground. I have found single line foot lock or double line foot lock to get into the tree and then set it up once in the tree. The double snapper allows for safe retrieval (it has its flaws though). The system is expencive though.
That is a scary to hear, I guess there is always that one freak expection, like I said earlier glad to hear no one was hurt. I really would have thought a tripple locking would damn near be impossible to get open.

Glad to here about the ART, I have only seen them in the catalogs, they are expensive. Maybe some day I will see one in person or get to use one and then purchase one.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:20 PM

If you get one remember not to get the one that is 10 feet long. the shorter one is more than adiquate. My employer purchased one for me and after using it for a couple months I bought one for use in my buisness because it was worth every penny. I would suggest the purchase. Just know how to use it before actually using it. Happy climbing
Old 11-28-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
If you get one remember not to get the one that is 10 feet long. the shorter one is more than adiquate. My employer purchased one for me and after using it for a couple months I bought one for use in my buisness because it was worth every penny. I would suggest the purchase. Just know how to use it before actually using it. Happy climbing
Thank you for the recommendation.

Ya, would definetly want to see it in person or at least a video showing how it works.

How long is the shorter one?

Mike
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 PM

I think the shorter one is between 5 and 6 feet. Havent measured it. I will see what I can do about pics and such for instruction. It might be a week or two... Im on vacation next week. HUNTING in the mountains. FOR A WHOLE WEEK. Rest and relaxation.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I think the shorter one is between 5 and 6 feet. Havent measured it. I will see what I can do about pics and such for instruction. It might be a week or two... Im on vacation next week. HUNTING in the mountains. FOR A WHOLE WEEK. Rest and relaxation.
Thank you.

Will be excited to see those pics.
Thanks in advance.

Have a good vacation.

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Are people still "throwing" throw lines up there when they could be using a "Bigshot"? Stone age stuff! :D
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevet View Post
Are people still "throwing" throw lines up there when they could be using a "Bigshot"? Stone age stuff! :D
Um...depends how high...most times I use the big shot.

Great Tool and a Great Investment and Great Invention.

Do you use any other tool for getting a line up in the tree