Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

question about reaching limbs

I have a tree that has 3 large limbs cracked but still hanging up in the tree, I cut 2 down, the last one I thought would be an easy cut ended up getting me in the head and knocking me out! I still cannot remember how it happened as I have done jobs like this many times before. All I remember is one minute I was cutting, the next I was laying on the ground with a big gash on my temple! I went to the hospital and ended up with a mild concussion, very scary though, I am VERY glad that chainsaws have safety cut-offs otherwise I would probably not be here writing this. Anyways there is one more limb, small(around 3"dia/ 8ft long) it is also cracked but still hanging at the top (probably 50-60ft up!) I have 200 ft of cable but I cannot think of a way to get it up there. The branches near the top are not strong enough to hold me. Any thoughts? i thought if there was a tool that shot the cable up there ,similar to the things you see in movies where they fire a little cable with a hook on the end and they swing away! I dont think this tool exists in the tree industry though! I told the client I probably could not get that limb and would take $50. off the bill, but I would like to get it for him.Thanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM

Hey man,
Sounds like you need to leave the chain saw on the ground. Take a hand saw with you until you can climb with out almost killing yourself. That way if you get knocked out again the handsaw wont cut you in half. How are you getting into the tree? What are you climbing with? I dont think cable is going to help. Were you thinking you would hook the cable to the limb and rip it off the tree??? Real good for the tree. If you did that to my tree you would be taking more than just 50 bucks off the job... YOu would be paying for the damage to the tree. Of course I know whats right, your customer pobably doesnt, so you could probably get away with it. My suggestion is if you cant climb to it SAFELY, take the 50 bucks off and get away with your life. Better to walk away, and do tree work another day. Suggest that they get a Certified Arborist to take a look at it and take the limb out.
Just one last burning question; were you wearing your hard hat????
Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM

Why does it has to be a certified arborist. You guys are nuts with that. Just call a TREE SERVICE out of the phone book and pay them to cut the limb for you.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM

I dont care if you use a certified arborist or not. The only reason I go that route is because you know they keep up with the times through CEU's. They are alway educating themselves. Sure any tree guy can educate themselves but will they. Certified arborists HAVE to to maintain your credentials.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 AM

The customer is the one who wanted it "ripped " off the tree, I told him it really needs to be cut off and he responded by saying he just wanted it down and it doesnt matter to him. By what I can see the limb was already ripped off by the wind , it is just caught up on some other branches or it is just hanging on by a thread. There is really no way to climb to it,because there is not many limbs near the top and the ones that are there are very thin and would not support a person. And I know he wont pay for a bucket truck to come in just for that small limb
Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 AM

Any pictures of the tree.

I think that will be the best way to get a definitive answer out of all of it.

What about a rope climb up to high as you feel safe and then use a Pole Saw to get the branch out and then make a proper pruned finish cut.

The Silky's can reach 21+ feet.

What type of tree is it?

Location in the yard?

Just wondering what exactly do you do in the tree care industry?

Throwline, A Big Shot, and 120' of Safety Blue
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 AM

we rent trained woodchucks here. they run about 50 bucks a day. cost is a lil more than a snipe but not a bad price. so if youd like we^:walking:d ship out one.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 AM

We use shotguns. Just shoot the limb and it will fall out. :laugh: Just kidding. DONT DO THAT.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
We use shotguns. Just shoot the limb and it will fall out. :laugh: Just kidding. DONT DO THAT.
I will second this idea.

Just Kidding.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 PM

How about using a thompson mini-gun, 3000 rounds a minute! turn the limb into mulch before it reaches the ground!!