Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Wanting to learn more

Hey guys. New to this site but not to the industry. I own a landscape business but have now learned that I love taking down trees. It could be the rush or taking down thousands of pounds of tree or doing something that few others dare to do.

Anyways I cant go work for someone because my business needs my attention. However I want to learn more and grow this side of my business. I have to admit I didnt realize all the regulations. I am actually going to research up on them all over the next few weeks. I knew the obvious with the helmet, chaps yada yada. But how can I learn more. Is there a class you can take. Im not talking about a class room class but does someone provide an arborist school. If so maybe in Dallas TX.

Thanks guys. Looks like you guys give a lot of positive feed back. Lawnsite people are usually more critical when we are only trying to seel help.

To give you my experience. I have taken down large and small trees. Nothing to dangerous but one tree did take 4 of us just due to the side of it and we didnt have a bucket or crane.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM

First off Welcome.

You are going to get a lot of great advice.

First off, Don't Top, Don't Lions Tail, Get proper Insurance, and be safe...sorry just a pet pieve i see a lot of times from guys who transfer over from Landscaping.

I would recommend which I am sure others will second...

1. Tree Climbers Companion
2. Fundamentals of General Tree Work - G.F. Bernak
A god father in the tree care world
3. ANSI Z 1.33 Safety Standards for Tree Care
4. BMP - Best Mangement Practice

All can be found at WesSpur, Sherill, Bailey's, ISA.

I would recommend joining the ISA you can learn a lot and get discount on education.

http://www.wesspur.com/Books/standards.html

I like Wesspur because of the free ups ground shipping on all shipments over $ 100 in the USA

I also think they have the easiest website to navigate through
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Would like to add... ANSI A300 standards for pruning, cabling, and any other part of the industry you are intending on practicing in. Also Ed Gilman's "An Illustrated Guide to Pruning" is great reading. Get free subscriptions of "Tree Services" (from this site) and TCI magazine. (both free). The ISA's "Arborists' Certification Study Guide" is great too. Even if you dont want to get certified (KC). Its a plus though. You wouldnt believe how many customers I have recieve just from that. I know I know. Stop preaching the cerification thing. Sorry
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
Would like to add... ANSI A300 standards for pruning, cabling, and any other part of the industry you are intending on practicing in. Also Ed Gilman's "An Illustrated Guide to Pruning" is great reading. Get free subscriptions of "Tree Services" (from this site) and TCI magazine. (both free). The ISA's "Arborists' Certification Study Guide" is great too. Even if you dont want to get certified (KC). Its a plus though. You wouldnt believe how many customers I have recieve just from that. I know I know. Stop preaching the cerification thing. Sorry
I havent read the ANSI version, I only bought the BMP's mainly because they were cheaper.

Have you read the BMP, would you recommend buying the ANSI version if you have already read the BMP.

Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 PM

the BMPs are directly from the A300s. But the wording is nice to know sometimes. Also when a costmer asks you something you can give them the actual standard, not a summery of the standard. Both are good. I own both for pruning, cabling, Lightning protection, and fert. (dont do fert) I bought the all of them in a kit with the cert guide. ISA offers the package. Happy reading
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
the BMPs are directly from the A300s. But the wording is nice to know sometimes. Also when a costmer asks you something you can give them the actual standard, not a summery of the standard. Both are good. I own both for pruning, cabling, Lightning protection, and fert. (dont do fert) I bought the all of them in a kit with the cert guide. ISA offers the package. Happy reading
Interesting.

Did not no that, I have seen that package would have been smarter to buy it originally but I have bought it in pieces.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Read books! as everyone commented above. I might be in your age group. Im only 20 years old and my company does tree work. I love it out of everything that we do. Just be safe and know your limit. And get proper insurance! Other than that, Get good equipment and Saws! STIHL is my personnel favorite! If you have the space in your back woods like i do, practice practice practice. I climb trees for fun all the time out in my woods and experiment different things that i hear about or see on this site. That way when im on the job, its not my first time. Its the best way to learn !
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highclimber604 View Post
Read books! as everyone commented above. I might be in your age group. Im only 20 years old and my company does tree work. I love it out of everything that we do. Just be safe and know your limit. And get proper insurance! Other than that, Get good equipment and Saws! STIHL is my personnel favorite! If you have the space in your back woods like i do, practice practice practice. I climb trees for fun all the time out in my woods and experiment different things that i hear about or see on this site. That way when im on the job, its not my first time. Its the best way to learn !
Great Post.

I really wanted to highlight some of your comments.

Working within your limits
Proper Insurance
Practice in situations where you have the area and it is safe to make a opps cut, now i dont mean be dangerous here be smart
ex. trying rigging tip tie vs butt tie vs using a balancer
Commerical Grade Equipment
Books are great.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks guys for all the advise. Lawnsite has some good info but everyone is so critical. I will check out some of the websites and books you suggested. Thanks and I wish everyone a happy new year.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM

One other idea and I am not sure if it has been brought up but is to get your self a tree job well a few that you can't do alone.

Sub the work out, find a small company even a one man climber arborist who seems chipper and friendly. A lot of guys will work as a sub help you take it down and you can learn a lot along the way,.

Ask Questions.