Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Trimming Ash

I have a little bit of a question hope you guys can clear something up for me.

In my grove, I have about 40 ash trees. When they were planted in 89' the person of course was thinking the closer the better. Well now after all the years they are huge. The problem I have is that I think when they were growing they should have done some easy pruning on them so they would not have 3 or 4 leaders on each tree. Now they are about 40 feet tall and are all smashed together. They can only grow up and have no room to branch out. So what I have atrted to do is cutting all of the leaders down to one per tree, if that makes any sense. What I am thinking is by doing this I will encourage them to branch out.
They are planted maybe 10 -12 feet apart. Would I be better off cutting every other one out and removing the leaders on the ones that are left?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 PM

Good Evening,

By the way it sounds, it sounds like you topped them more or less.

Can you take some pictures, advice can be given the best with pictures.

Call a tree care company out to do the work...is another idea.

In most situations, DONT TOP.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

What is topping

I have no idea what you are talking about could you let me know what this term means? Does it mean cutting the top back like you would do to a apple tree. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 PM

And whatever you do, DON'T take any more than about 20% of the live foliage out in one year. The rule of thumb for pruning is remove dead/diseased/damaged/crossing and competeing first. It you are snder 20% THEN toy can prune for ethsetics or space.

This is a guideline. Like canyobc stated, hire an arborist. They know how to make target cuts, limb length reductions..........oh and most of all, they don't screw around with ladders, much!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM

I guess you were posting while I was. IF you insist on doing this yourself at least check out www.treesaregood.com

I would hate to see you cause damage to the tree. You may even create hazards IF you get it wrong. I hope you don't create liability issues for yourself. Also be CAREFUL working at height. A decent climing arborist has all the tools, and the techniques to work for the benefit of the trees and their owners.

GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Creations View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about could you let me know what this term means? Does it mean cutting the top back like you would do to a apple tree. Thanks for the info!
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

This is from Trees Are Good, and efilliate of the ISA - International Society of Arboriculture.

I think you can have some beautiful trees if you top them, you can not just hurt the tree and explained in the website above. In addition lower the value of your property, I am not sure if lower is correct but a proper pruned mature Ash can add value to your property, in my opinion.

Mike -

If you go through the phone book don't look for someone who advertises topping, a lot will recommend hiring a Certified Arborist, that is your call. Proper pruning, fine pruning, C. Arborist can be a good start to find a good tree care business.

If you want to do the trees your self, post some pictures.

Mike
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Well first I would like to know what kind of ash tree they are. There are two versions that I know of and both have different growth habits.

White ash (Fraxinus americana) - Has a mostly upright form. This meaning most of the time one trunk from the bottom and then starts to branch out in the top. A white ash more than likely will have multipal leaders in the top, its just the way they grow. This tree can and noramally does grow to 50 - 80 feet with a similar spread.

Green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) - These trees are normally planted as ornimentals. They grow more of a spreading form. They normally branch out at he bottom into sevaral leads. One thing about green ash is they grow very fast in a wide variety of sites. They do well as street trees. They can grow as big as 60 feet tall (Ive never seen it). Tallest I have ever seen was around 35 - 40 ft.

I will warn it is very difficult to tell the difference between the two. A good book to help you with this would be Manual of Woody Landcape Plants, Dirr.

Another concideration for hiring an arborist is they will know if Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is in your area. EAB destroys ash. If it is in your area and you stress your trees too much you might invite them to a feast on all of your ash trees.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Outdoor Creations..

Where you ever able to get any picutres?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM

I took some

I took some but I cant figure out the easiest way to get them on to show you guys. Any tips?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 PM

When you post a add...scoll down and there is additional opitions you can upload from your computer to the sight.

Hope this helps.