Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 AM

Wood Splitter

There is a local guy in town who I keep up his trees and give him firewood when I have extra's called today and asked for a recomendation on a good versatile homeowner/professional gas splitter.

I said I have no idea, I have always rented one from the Depot if I use them at all.

In particular machines any one here would recommend over others.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Timberwolf makes several nice units. The TW 2 is nice as a homeowner version. Heavy enough to take the punishment of the pro but not what I would buy if I were doing it. The TW 5 on the other hand is a great piece. With Hydrolic loading arm (for big stuff), 4 way hydrolic wedge, auto cycle, and a wood tray you cant beat it for production. Used both of these models in Vermont and prefer the 5. But the 5 also runs around 5500 with all the gizmos I think. the 2 is in the low 1000s. I think you can get some of the options with the 2 but am not sure. Check out Timberwolfs web site. http://www.timberwolfcorp.com
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM

I am familiar with the TW-5, that is AWEsome machine. I am not to familar with the TW 2 but Timberwolf seems to be a great company.

I think the 2, will fit in there price range a bit better than the 5.

I want to say he wants to split 4-5 cords a year....Not a ton but more then you want to do with a splitting maul.

Sounds like a couple neigbors all want to pitch in and buy one.

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 PM

My unkle has a 2. He sells wood in the great white north. He has split between 75-110 cords a year since he got it. If I remember he got it my last year in college. 1999. THATS A LOOOOOOTTTT of wood. As far as I know its still running. He did have to replace the slip on 4 way wedge because it bent in (i think) 2005. Not too shabby though.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
My unkle has a 2. He sells wood in the great white north. He has split between 75-110 cords a year since he got it. If I remember he got it my last year in college. 1999. THATS A LOOOOOOTTTT of wood. As far as I know its still running. He did have to replace the slip on 4 way wedge because it bent in (i think) 2005. Not too shabby though.
That is more than a lot of wood that is just purely a TON OF WOOD...

if that doesnt prove they are a reaiable machine, well other things can prove it is not a good machine but that is a good thing to here about it.

Sounds like a solid machine.

I will pass that information on.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM

I use a 32 ton Husky. It is about ten years old and stay out side all year. I split 12 – 15 cords a year. I keep the oil changed. It has held up well. A friend of mine has a T-5 it is at least 12 years old and he sells about 100 cords a year. Great machine.

Bill
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpman View Post
I use a 32 ton Husky. It is about ten years old and stay out side all year. I split 12 – 15 cords a year. I keep the oil changed. It has held up well. A friend of mine has a T-5 it is at least 12 years old and he sells about 100 cords a year. Great machine.

Bill
Wow, that is a long time outside. I assume you cover it at least with some tarp or something of that nature.

That is a fair number you have split over the years.

I will hope to be there soon.

Mike
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM

During the summer it is not covered. In the winter I try to cover it so it dose not get an ice build up on it. I got it used and it was never covered. That is why I don cover it.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpman View Post
During the summer it is not covered. In the winter I try to cover it so it dose not get an ice build up on it. I got it used and it was never covered. That is why I don cover it.
Makes good sense.

One question if you don't mind me asking.

What year is the machine and how much did you did you pay for it, in what condition.

Thanks,
Mike

I live in a town home but hopefully moving soon into a home with a large yard...looking to keep the rounds and make some firewood...now looking for a splitter for my self.

I think I stated it earlier I have used the ones from HD and stuff...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM

If your handy and have some tools (welder and hand tools) you could build your own. I built mine 10 years ago and wouldn't think twice to do it again. I put the word out for a year saying I was going to build this and started collecting parts and metal.