Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2000, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me the best tires to use? I think this discussion was on sometime ago but I am not able to find it. I have a Toro 44&quot; ZTR with regular turf tires. This darn thing refuses to stay on a hill. I see the tires that are sold on a Dixie Chopper. Are they better. The turf tires seem to be the norm on riders. <p>I filled the tires up with water to help with weight and that did help some but it still trys to go down the hill. Once it starts down the hill all you can do is hold on for the ride. <p>Any suggestions????<p>Thanks.<p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
Old 08-01-2000, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I am using Carlisl &quot;Badlands&quot; on my Ferris Pro cut 22 They are great. No wheel spin ever.
Old 08-01-2000, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i dont think it matters wich tire you use. No 44 inch mower is gonna hold on hills because the wheelbase is so small. On my z master 62 that thing holds hills amazing. I use it on hills that i would never put my old gravely 60ich rider near.
Old 08-01-2000, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ztr were obviously not intended for hills. I've got a dixie chopper and it's a great mower, but keep it where it belongs on the flat. For hills use a walkbehind or a 3 wheel rider. I don't thinks there's a ztr made that can mow hills that my 3 wheelers can, and I've used them both, Lynn
Old 08-01-2000, 08:08 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Ok Eric time to post the other picture of the D.C. that they use to mow the local land fill<p>----------<br>paul<p>&lt;img src = http://elms.bizland.com/chopper72.jpg&gt;<p>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: Eric ELM<p>They use this mower on hills that make most guys turn away all for $55 per acre. Notice the helmet and rollcage, it also has wheelie bars on the back<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: paul
Old 08-01-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

walkbehinds belong on hills thats what they were intended for to start with...if your in the grass cutting business then you can't be so lazy that you would risk your life, but most importantly your customers yard hehe.. so get off and walk it will spare you and your customer from an altercation.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

It's hard to take a pix of a hill and show how steep it is but here is a try.<p>http://www.lbpinc.com/hill.jpg<p>I can mow in any direction on this and I can turn around on it.<p><p>
Old 08-01-2000, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

It's hard to take a pix of a hill and show how steep it is but here is a try.<p>http://www.lbpinc.com/hill.jpg<p>I can mow in any direction on this and I can turn around on it.<p><p>
Old 08-01-2000, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a better shot of the tires<br>http://www.lbpinc.com/hill2.jpg<br>Frank
Old 08-01-2000, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh........Go cart tires! The only problem with that is the chunks of SOD you have in th knobs on the second pic. lol