Register free!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 PM

waiting to burn piles (wildlife habitat) + suggestion

Not sure where else to post this, so here goes.

We have accounts where we prune/remove trees, shrubs, etc & pile the debris in their backyard for eventual burning. We usually ask folks not to burn these piles until late April or May, cuz it provides habitat for native mammals & birds while they're giving birth to their young.

What say you? Is this an environmentally good thing to do? Cuz why do we grow trees in the first place? (makes you think, doesn't it?)

Also -- I wish this site would provide a category addressing the environment/horticulture............anybody else in agreement?

thanks, rscvp
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 AM

I think that would be getting a little off the subject of the site. This site is strictly about tree service. Thats just my opinion. not bashing or anything.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Nature does not need any help from us. It has done its thing for a long time even before we were around. I dont think leaving brush pile for wildlife is a good thing or nessessary. example; you have a brush pile, squirrels (such as flying ones) nest and have young. Who says they will be out of that pile before you burn it. They should be nesting in other places ie TREES. I know around here the birds dont start to come back until late april early may and they should be in fields, bushes, and trees. Squirrels normally nest in trees. Rabbits in fields and brush piles (but have thier young when you are burning). Mice... Who wants mice around. You might find a bear in a brush pile but if you find them there you have bigger problems. I wouldnt worry about leaving brush around i would burn it when I could
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
Nature does not need any help from us. It has done its thing for a long time even before we were around. I dont think leaving brush pile for wildlife is a good thing or nessessary. example; you have a brush pile, squirrels (such as flying ones) nest and have young. Who says they will be out of that pile before you burn it. They should be nesting in other places ie TREES. I know around here the birds dont start to come back until late april early may and they should be in fields, bushes, and trees. Squirrels normally nest in trees. Rabbits in fields and brush piles (but have thier young when you are burning). Mice... Who wants mice around. You might find a bear in a brush pile but if you find them there you have bigger problems. I wouldnt worry about leaving brush around i would burn it when I could
Yah i agree with flying. Burn the pile right away or charge them to remove the brush and everything else that piles up. I know in my area, Alot of people want everything removed off there property. Especially grass because it smells in the summer.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM

I would sell them on its a bad thing to have that pile. Make more money hauling it off.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM

One more thing I would like to add. It isnt exactly Environmentaly friendly to burn brush. You releace green house gasses when the material is burned. Also most people I know use some kind of accelerant to get the pile going (NOT GOOD and dangerous). Chip it up and get rid of it. If you havent got a chipper rent one. If you cant rent one, you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 AM

Yah i would have to agree with flying. I would never tell someone to burn there brush or even do it for them for that matter. Charge them to get rid of it were it can compost to nothing. make money whenever you can. Especially an easy tast like that
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM

In addition. Being a firefighter, I have seen a few good brush fires. I have been through pa wild land fire courses. They make a really good point in this course; the first thing they say; if the fire gets out of hand the person responsible is the one that struck the match. So if it gets away from you and you burn their house down, the neighbors, or the whole town, you are LIABLE. I dont think you carry enough INS to cover that. The athorities can also come after you for the costs of suppression (putting the fire out). And if anyone gets hurt, sorry man you are in trouble.

Dont mean to scare you but, well I guess I am.*trucewhiteflag*
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM

chip and compost and or char with a proper kiln= biochar, great for the lawns to, it helps hold the fert in the soil!!!!