Register free!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Stump Grinders

has anyone heard of this company ? DSR
http://cgi.ebay.com/DSR-65-00110-SEL...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Honestly that thing looks like its home made. I wouldn't go for that. Buy a well reputable brand. Stump grinders get the crap beat out of them so you want something that will stand up to the abuse. That looks like its only good for small pine stumps. Plus look at all the safety hazards on it!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Dangerous!

That think looks dangerous! I've never heard of the company and couldn't find anything on the web. I use a Vermeer SC352 which is a smaller 34hp diesel grinder but can still fit in a 36" gate. I'd stick with an established brand like highclimber says!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Sc252

I bought a sc252, have not done any work yet but i thought i would give you my opinion. I bought the used machine from the New England dealer.It was a trade in. Now would'nt you think it would be ready to use? When i started looking it over(after it was paid for) i see it needed a cutter shaft and 4 pillow block bearings. I guess i would have done just as well buying from someone off the street. Needless to say i am unimpressed.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Gotta watch those slippery dealers. Really have to check things out before you buy them. Have a mechanic look at it if you have to. Right now dealers are hurting and will do anything to make the sale. Even be unscrupulus. Many times (Esp. with used equipment) the dealer will allow a demo. Get a stump and try it out. If they dont want to demo it dont buy it. They will come around eventually if they want to sell.

Sorry man that sucks to be taken like that :( Hopefuly you got it cheap
Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

My thoughts lie to liablility issues... Stump grinding is already a dangerous proposition, and if someone or something gets hurt by an inferior machine, the courts will have a day!

If you need one, just rent it for the days you use it. Let someone else deal with repairs and liability. I use sunbelt rentals. They have a couple of nice models.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM

I would agree with the rental thing... Except Ive been burned by that too. The machines that they rent out are USED and ABUSED. The people that rent them dont always know what they are doing. Unless you know exacty what to look for when your rent something you might be getting a piece of crap. And the rental place isnt an tree person that knows when it needs teeth they just guess (i know I worked at a rental place when I was young).
Nothing is worse then getting the equipment to the job, finding out it is not operating properly and having to bring it back for repairs. You look like a dingle berry to your customer, not to mention you waste (sometimes) LOTS of time. And in this industry as many of these guys will say TIME IS MONEY $$$$.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM

not renting

I am looking at this as a new service and in it for the long term. I have done enough research and believe i'll be in good shape down the road. I want the machine at my convenience, renting is ok with some things, but if your in the trade, you better have the equipment. I also found out the difference new cutter teeth can make, i and not sure if a rental house keep them up.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Stump Grinding

Its hard to make money stump grinding if you rent a grinder. Only way to do it is line up all your stump jobs on one day so you go and take care of all of them at one time.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esenterprise View Post
Its hard to make money stump grinding if you rent a grinder. Only way to do it is line up all your stump jobs on one day so you go and take care of all of them at one time.
3 years and no complaints I bought a sc252 Vermeer and have not turned anything down yet. my average is about $75.00 per hour