Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Firewood stacking/drying

For those of you who sell firewood, what works the best for stacking and drying? Do you stack on 4 X 8 sections? This may seem like a real easy question but I have not been able to find out what folks that dry a lot of wood do or prefer. I find plenty for the homeowner. I am open for any suggestions.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Stacking

Split it and wait...
Unless your pre-measuring the wood into cords I wouldn't bother with stacking it. Time is money! We split and push the wood into piles with a skid loader w/ a grapple. Most people that sell wood never stack the wood unless the customer wants it stacked at their house (then charge 'em for it).
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM

maybe things are drier in CO, but he aint going to get it dried by pushing it in a pile in IN
plus you get all that dirt mixed in
do your customers a favor and stack it on pallets, cover it and dry it right
take pride in the product you sell
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

No time for pallets

At the volume of wood we sell it would be counter productive to stack it on pallets. If you only sell a couple cords a year it might be ok but we sell more firewood than any other company in eastern Colorado. As for dirt we utilize a skid loader with a grapple so dirt falls through the tines. Time is money.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 AM

Fire wood

I'm no expert but the guy I sell a good amount of wood to, in turn he sells for a fair market value to the public, stacks his in 1/3 cord boxes. These are true 1/3 cords. That is to say one row 16" cut length, 4' high,8' long. This guy is never slow and is amazed at the constant flow of new customers who have no idea they got ripped off so much in the past. Firewood should NEVER be sold or purchased if it is not measured into some true quantity that reflects the 1 cord or 128 cubic feet unit of measure. As the other guy said be proud of your product and your honesty.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 PM

I used to sell wood when I lived up north. We used to just heep it up, let it dry a couple weeks and then throw it on the truck, stack the back row and it was great. We NEVER shorted a customer. A thrown on cord consists of 168 cu ft roughly. cause its not stacked. The reason I sold most of my wood on the greener side was I convinced my customers that it was best to get wood early in the spring (when supply is high, and demand was low). This allowed them to stack the wood undercover EARLY. And guess what... All I had to stack was that back row on the truck. I didnt have to store wood for much more than a couple weeks, IF THAT. And I NEVER got a complaint for shortage or being too green. My average customer was buying 6 cords/year. Firewood up there was a way of life.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Prices

With propane and natural gas prices jumping as much as 200% in the past two years a lot of people are going back to wood or pellet stoves. Every year our firewood business goes up about 2% and is now 15% of our annual income!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 PM

after we split we stack the wood only 2 rows deep. We have sections that consist of cords so that way when we go to sell, we know which sections are already dry and since they are already sorted into single cord sections, we just throw them into the truck and dump onsite for the customer. the stacks are open faced but are covered on top which keeps most of the rain off the stacks.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM

good points by all

Bottom line is you gotta know your customers. Give them what they want and they will always come back with a smile. Keep some stacked and drying for those that want it and sell green to the people with time and space to store it. Price accordingly and make sure you tell them the difference.
While I only sell a couple cords a year to neighbors, I understand where you high volume guys are coming from. Time is money and the less you handle it the more goes in your pocket. That is why we do it right? The couple of trees a year I drop for my lawn/landscape business go into the firewood end as another revenue stream. One lady wants it split stacked and dried while I have a guy that wants rounds/logs...he likes to do the work himself.
If you are cutting/splitting with a conveyor why not lay down the pallets and dump on top of them in a big pile? Measure your delivery vehicle for volume. Then toss in the wood, pull it out and stack it for comparison. That way you have a volume that is verifiable.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM

I don't sell it but i stack it on sheets of tin. Have a few cords cut so i have to find every available place to put it.

Attachment 267

This one has been added to considerably since this picture.

Attachment 268

Attachment 269