Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Need some advice.

I am a mild mannered banker by day and a guy who likes working with trees on the weekend. Right now I am sponge when it comes to cutting down trees, clean up and firewood production. I would like to start making some money on the side, learn and possibly grow it into a sustainable, professional business. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws, a 5X8 utility trailer that I pull behind my Ford Explorer, several prunning tools, a Stihl blower and a Huskee log splitter. What insight might you guys have for a guy would like to get into the industry in some fashion, slowly and I prefer to buy equipment with cash. How can I compete in the area? What type of insurance should I have? I am also planning on doing it myself for the time being. Any good educational materials or training not already suggested on the site that would he helpful? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garber View Post
I am a mild mannered banker by day and a guy who likes working with trees on the weekend. Right now I am sponge when it comes to cutting down trees, clean up and firewood production. I would like to start making some money on the side, learn and possibly grow it into a sustainable, professional business. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws, a 5X8 utility trailer that I pull behind my Ford Explorer, several prunning tools, a Stihl blower and a Huskee log splitter. What insight might you guys have for a guy would like to get into the industry in some fashion, slowly and I prefer to buy equipment with cash. How can I compete in the area? What type of insurance should I have? I am also planning on doing it myself for the time being. Any good educational materials or training not already suggested on the site that would he helpful? Thank you in advance.
My first inclanation was to say get insurance, but you thought of that. To begin with all you should need is GL, but you might want to look into your local laws. Competing is a very easy thing to do when you are small. With your low overhead you can keep your prices down. Being a money man already you have a step up on alot of folks. I do the same thing now, have full time arborist job, and do "side work" after work and on weekends. I started out with a pickup, saws and gear. In reading the site you probably have read the harping I do on training materials. Tree climbers companion, ISA Arborist Certification Study Guild, Arboriculture and the Law. This site is great, there are other forum sites, www.isa-arbor.com, www.sherrilltree.com. The sherrill site is a supplier but they also have some learning stuff on there too, tricks and such. Biggest thing, dont hesitate to ask a question, we are all here to help. Sometimes it gets a little dead around here and a little stimulation is what we need.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Thank you for the reply. I assume by you reccommending GL that that is general liability insurance? If not please let me know. How do you guys price services like prunning trees and shrubs. What about clearing down trees? I have not climbed trees before. Have any of you done custom firewood splitting for folks? Say they have a tree down or want to take one down and have it split into firewood for themselves.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garber View Post
Thank you for the reply. I assume by you reccommending GL that that is general liability insurance? If not please let me know. How do you guys price services like prunning trees and shrubs. What about clearing down trees? I have not climbed trees before. Have any of you done custom firewood splitting for folks? Say they have a tree down or want to take one down and have it split into firewood for themselves.
Sorry. Yes GL = Generaly Liability. If you look under buisiness management section you will find several posts on how to bid jobs. With low overhead you will be able to keep your prices low. One additional thing, if you are getting every job you bid, your prices are too low. It might not sound right but it makes sence. If you are getting every job, you are cheaper than your compeditors (sometimes by a great deal). If you get your prices closer to theirs, you will make more money in the long run but my loose a job or two here and there. But it takes time to figure where that balance is.