Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM

Stihl 192T vs 200T

We use Stihl 192T's as our primary bucket/climbing saw but have been tossing around the idea of getting a 200T. I've only talked to one other guy that has used the 200T so I'd like to get some more input before I spend the extra $$$! The 200 is almost double the cost of the 192 which seems kind of high for only a 5.1cc gain. Anyone have advise? And no, we won't go with any other brands. We are in a very rural part of Colorado with only 2 small engine repair/parts places within 1/2 hour drive and they're both certified Stihl dealers. Thanks for any input!

192T:
30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)
1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)

200T:
35.2 cc (2.15 cu. in.)
1.6 kW (2.1 bhp)
Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 AM

I just bought one of each. If the money is not the only factor, get the 200T. It is simply more saw.

None of our guys will run the 190T unless it is the only one available.

Also, FWIW, I don't care for either, except as a high-work limbing saw, and even then not much. I prefer a saw with some bar reach myself.

I'm a fairly good-sized guy, and I find both of the small saws to be one-hand saws only. Using two hands makes the saw difficult to maneuver, as the grip size is narrow and tight. It is almost as if you have both hands handcuffed right in front of you. But, that being said, when you really need a one-hand saw, they are the ones to have. They are easy to control that way, and have enough juice to get the job done.

Also, for the money, you might also consider one of the extendable pole saws. We also just bought two of the HT 131 saws and I prefer them to either of the two small saws for in tree work. On the ground, not so much, for obvious reasons, but up in the trees, they work great.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 PM

Handcuffs

Some of my "competitions" workers might need the closer hand grips so they can use the saw with the handcuffs still on! LMAO :laugh:
Old 03-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfredrick View Post
I just bought one of each. If the money is not the only factor, get the 200T. It is simply more saw.

None of our guys will run the 190T unless it is the only one available.

Also, FWIW, I don't care for either, except as a high-work limbing saw, and even then not much. I prefer a saw with some bar reach myself.

I'm a fairly good-sized guy, and I find both of the small saws to be one-hand saws only. Using two hands makes the saw difficult to maneuver, as the grip size is narrow and tight. It is almost as if you have both hands handcuffed right in front of you. But, that being said, when you really need a one-hand saw, they are the ones to have. They are easy to control that way, and have enough juice to get the job done.

Also, for the money, you might also consider one of the extendable pole saws. We also just bought two of the HT 131 saws and I prefer them to either of the two small saws for in tree work. On the ground, not so much, for obvious reasons, but up in the trees, they work great.
There is no such thing as a "one handed chainsaw". You might want to read ANSI Z133.1, and the owners manuals on those saws. If you need to use one hand buy a handsaw. They make great handsaws these days. Much safer too
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
There is no such thing as a "one handed chainsaw". You might want to read ANSI Z133.1, and the owners manuals on those saws. If you need to use one hand buy a handsaw. They make great handsaws these days. Much safer too
Yes... and I'll lay you odds that you've used one that way more than once. I don't advocate it at all -- just stating the facts. I prefer a larger saw.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfredrick View Post
Yes... and I'll lay you odds that you've used one that way more than once. I don't advocate it at all -- just stating the facts. I prefer a larger saw.
You are right odds are... Im not proud of it... but thats what happens when you begin your career working for a hack. I have and will admit to breaking about every rule I advocate against now, at one time or another. BUT, I know now (for 4 years now) how wrong and dangerous it was. Im not perfect, and nobody is, but we CAN NOT be advertizing to individuals that are new to our industry that it is ok to break the rules. Lets start them off on the right foot, before they get bad habits.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Where did we go?

So.... back to the subject at hand(s). Can anyone weigh in on the original question?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM

With a choice between them I would buy the 200T. I have a 192 for side work and it SUCKS, lack of power, chain speed, and over all performance. But between the (2) 200's we have at work, one or the other has been in the shop on and off for a couple months now. We have a Husky 338xp, and it just runs, no problems.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM

The192T is a fine saw, if woods ported, or at least muffler modded. I own 3, one of each of the above, and one stock. Someday, I'll do a better video than I've done, comparing them. Big difference in power and speed.

The 200T with the screen removed is one great saw, and fast, but gets easily beaten by my muffler modded 338/Jonsered 2139T.....my favorite climb saws.

www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree

www.youtube.com/rbtree
Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 AM

200 T hands down, just a proffesional saw compaired to a back yard or farm use small saw that is coming directly from my local Stihl guy. No kiding! Remember he wants to sell saws an he said I wouldn't be happy w/ 192. :nono: