Register free!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOD View Post
200 T hands down, just a proffesional saw compaired to a back yard or farm use small saw that is coming directly from my local Stihl guy. No kiding! Remember he wants to sell saws an he said I wouldn't be happy w/ 192. :nono:
Remember he sells saws... The 200 is much more expencive... Equaling more money for him.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:48 PM

I think the price and the stats (almost) say it all, but I'll offer my 2 cents anyway.
I purchased a Stihl 200T for my climber 2 or 3 years ago to replace his that had been stolen. It has never been in the shop and is a terrific saw. The muffler screen gets plugged up with carbon and must be cleaned on occasion, but that is not a big deal.
The Stihl power pole saws on a "four mix" engine and with a split boom are terrific for elevations and occasionally used in the tree for hard to reach cuts. The split boom allows the unit to be used for other chores such as hedge trimming, weed trimming, power sweeping, tilling, etc., and there is a 3 ft. extension that may be added in the middle.
The Stihls seam to have a more aggressive cut and more power than the Echos that I have, though I do like the Echo 3450's for limbing. Some other nice things about Stihls is one wrench fits almost all machines, and you don't need any tools to open the oil & gas caps. Just don't fill them to the brim or you won't be able to close the caps.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Alehouse brought up a point that I had forgoten. The stihl oil and fuel caps. How many of you have worn a tank full of gas or oil because it didnt go on right?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM

First thing to do upon buying a 200T is to pull the screen, then readjust the carb to keep the rpm's correct. Power gain/reduced cut times= about 8%.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Check your state regulations before removing the screen, as it is there for a reason. It is not tecnically a "screen" it is called a spark arrestor. It is designed to catch sparks that are generated by the engine at times. If you are operating a saw in a dry climate and you remove the "screen" you increase the possibility that you ignite a fire.

Say you live out west where forest fires are common. You start a fire with your saw, burn 100,000 acres and a couple homes, what are you gonna do then? You dont carry enough insurance. The extra power is not worth the risk.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM

Fire?

I doubt a chainsaw has ever started a fire. But that's what we get for having politicians.

I'm a big fan of Deregulation!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Dought all you want. The manufacturer put it there for a reason. Not for thier health. They know it takes power away from the saw. They put it there because they have to. I dont care what you do, I just think that the poeple that are just starting out in our industry should learn the right way first, and then make thier own decisions when they get a little experience. You know, start low and slow.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsFire View Post
I doubt a chainsaw has ever started a fire. But that's what we get for having politicians.

I'm a big fan of Deregulation!
You'd be wrong. My wood ported 3120 has twin front facing tubes, no arrestor. (I won't let any of my new saws be built this way.) Though it's never caught a tree on fire, it will get em glowing, easily.

I work in residential areas, and fire danger is pretty much non existant, so don't worry about it. But I do prefer to have screens if possible. Not on climb saws, though. not worth the extra effort to design them in.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Is there that much of a noticeable difference between the two saws? I'm looking at the 192 because I won't be using it every day, but everyone I talk to says to get the 200.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Differences

I just got/used my first 200T. There is a HUGE difference in the amount of power it has over the 192! I love the 192's and have used them for many years but had I known there was such a dramatic difference in speed I would have switched a long time ago. The only drawback I can say is that it cost nearly twice as much.

Functionally the biggest difference I see is the on/off/choke switch is higher on the handle and has a bigger rocker which is fine except I'm used to the 192 and I keep inadvertently turning the saw off when I hit the chain brake. I'll get used to that quickly I'm sure!

If your only using the saw occasionally and for small trims you might want to stick with the cheaper saw.