Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2009, 12:34 AM

Scraped tree bark problem?

Hi all, I was moving a tall trailer and rubbed against a tree today. I was bringing in fill. Anyway I scraped along side a tree removing the bark. Can anything be done to prevent a problem or is the tree done? I did not hurt the wood under the bark Just exposed the wood under the bark. Any suggestions.....
Thanks! I am an idiot!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM

Dont paint over the wound (most paints kill the cambium at the wounds edge). Once the damage is done it is a "wait and see" project. The only thing you might be able to do now is trace any loose bark off with a sharp chisle (carefully), being sure not to remove any bark that is still attached. Hopefully it is a speicies that compartmentalizes well. If not it will probably decay. Hope this is of some use to you
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Thank You! Its a swamp maple. I just can't believe I hit it with the trailer. Lucky its at my place, it has some height to it so hope it heals.
Mike...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Swamp maple (red maple) compartmentalizes fair. You will want to keep an eye on it in the future to make sure that the tree does not become hazardous. normally they grow fast enough that they make up the strength loss occuring on the inside as long as the wound is allowed (able) to close.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Try this, it works well on many , not all trees
By one pound Trowebridges grafting wax at a nursery supply
put it in an Old pan add an equal amount of vegitable oil and cover it with foil
Melt it in the oven when your wife's not home, stir and let it set ,NOW air out the house. this stuff does not poisen the tree and does a good job of sealing in the moisture inside the tree.
I've seen some incredible results. even on old rotted wounds just by stopping the moisture loss
Very sticky stuff. it will soak thru your pants and glue the hair to your leg
- in cool weather use more vegitable oil
John Rochester