Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 AM

Advise on existing stand

I have about 4 acres of trees that have grown up very thick. I'd like to weed out the low value ones. Should I call a pro and have them mark them for me, or just tear through them myself, cutting down all the weedy & damaged ones?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM

A local forester or a rep. from your local extension service would probably be best. You might have to pay them a little but it will be worth it. Sometimes even your county will have a county forester which is a great resource. These would probably be your best options because the forester knows what a wooded area needs, a tree guy might not (because s/he is used to working in the urban interface not so much the woods).
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

ditto

Keep in mind that sometimes "low value" trees are actually "high value" trees. ie: just cuz "it's a mulberry or a boxelder tree" does not always mean it's low value. Every tree serves a purpose -- depends on location, health, susceptability to pests, expected life expentency, etc, etc, etc as to which ones are more "important".

I live on 2 acres, and have mostly native trees. Last fall we removed some "competing" trees before they got too big ---- so we had to "pick" which ones to keep. We eliminated some hackberries cuz of the nuisance "lacebugs" prob they have, and we kept black walnut trees next to them. We still have many mulberries, black cherries, "piss" elms, etc too.

Lots to consider. I hate to see anybody remove trees in the first place unless it absolutely neccesary. IMO all trees are good.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 AM

I know what you mean. I'm not wanting to deforest the property, and would like to retain all the trees, shade and windbreak I can. There are a few ash still left alive, which I plan to keep as long as they'll live. The dead ash are going. Tulip Poplar, Sycamore are mainly what I think needs to be thinned. The trees are such that it's very difficult to even fit between them. Many have only a few branches, which are at the very top and on one side only, severely leaning, or storm damaged. They are 20-30ft tall and only 5-6" at the base. I've never seen trees grow like this anywhere else. The main problem I'm having is that the density is such that the trees cannot fall when cut. I have to rope and pull them down. The photos I have here were taken a couple years ago and you can see some of what I'm talking about.

In the background of this picture are where the worst overgrown area is. Some of the rees are litterally growing into each other.

Our pond is near unusable because of the excess of trees and brush. There are a couple Willow and Black Locust I'd like to keep.

I can see a lot of potential from tidying up, I'm just wanting to do it right.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Nice place!

WOW!!! That is one heck of an acreage you have buddy. :clapping:

I bet you have many types of birds to watch too. Very cool!

Larry
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Wow that does look cool. I would only take out what was a hazard. a little round up around the tree clusters, some natural mulch and walla. Might clear the scrub brush around the pond so you could use it or even see it. The wooded area looks nice though.
americanlawn is right all trees have their value. Dont go through and leave only one speicies either. That could be bad if a pest comes through and wipes all your trees out. A nice balance of speicies is best