Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM

Chain Saw Sharpeners

I am looking for a chain grinder and would welcome advice on a brand and model that will sharpen Stihl and other chains. I currently have 4 saws and it is getting pricy to get them sharpened. I want the best machine for the best price. I am also considering sharpening for the general public to help pay for it. I want a bench mount model.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM

A file is about: $1
File handle about: $1-$2
Practice is free
Once you are good at it: Priceless

The best way to sharpen a saw for the money. You dont have to take the chain off and it is quick. Also unless you carry your grinder out in the field with you what are you gonna do when your saw gets dull. A file is small, compact and most important, PORTABLE.
You all can burn me at the stake now. I guess Im just old fashioned
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree&turf View Post
I am looking for a chain grinder and would welcome advice on a brand and model that will sharpen Stihl and other chains. I currently have 4 saws and it is getting pricy to get them sharpened. I want the best machine for the best price. I am also considering sharpening for the general public to help pay for it. I want a bench mount model.
Thanks
I have an Oregon bench mount but I find myself going back to a file. When I need it the most (out in the woods) a few files are always on hand.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
A file is about: $1
File handle about: $1-$2
Practice is free
Once you are good at it: Priceless

The best way to sharpen a saw for the money. You dont have to take the chain off and it is quick. Also unless you carry your grinder out in the field with you what are you gonna do when your saw gets dull. A file is small, compact and most important, PORTABLE.
You all can burn me at the stake now. I guess Im just old fashioned
Best way:clapping:
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 PM

Bench grinder

I use a Speed Sharp (Italian made) that I got from Baileys ($375). The model I have has a auto chain locker that grips the chain when you pull the handle down but unfortunately Bailey's stopped stocking that model. It saves a little time compared to hand tightening on every link. I disagree with everyone above about filing by hand. It's slow and time consuming and in the hands of a rookie can end a chains career in a hurry! It's much faster to have a couple spare chains in the truck you can swap out in a minute rather than taking 5-20 minutes to sharpen by hand. We sharpen on maintenance/rain days. We also make our own chain (bought in 100 or 150 foot rolls) which saves a ton of money! If money isn't an option and you want the Cadillac of sharpeners get a Silvey (made in USA)!! The biggest difference in Silvey vs most other brands is the motor reverses so you grind both sides of the chain in the same direction which gives a more consistent edge. They also use an 8" grinding wheel compared to the 5 3/4" that most other brands use. The bigger wheel is supposed to sharpen with cooler temps to avoid cutter burning. The down side is that they cost $800! Oregon grinders are made in Italy and are probably made by the same company as Speed Sharp and MAXX. The MAXX model that Bailey's carries has the auto chain clamp and the whole head unit tilts left and right to get the same effect as the Silvey's reversing motor. Don't buy a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight or a hardware store for $35 and expect to get a good sharp chain!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM

A rookie will be a rookie forever unless they practice. If you were not allowed to climb once in a while you would have never got good a climbing. Same thing with filing a saw by hand. Learn the right way to do so, practice, practice, practice and then maybe you dont have to carry all that extra chain around with you.
Ive used the silvey grinders and dont like them UNLESS the chain is completely wrecked (which is not very often). They take tooooooo long, they do heat and harden the chain (maybe not as much as other grinders), and Im never happy with the outcome (not very sharp).
Next time you get a chance take a saw take the chain off sharpen it and put it back on. How long does it take you to do this?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 PM

Opinion

Like I stated above we sharpen chain on days when we aren't working outside which keeps my guys busy and plenty of sharp chain on deck. Just like sharpening by hand, sharpening with a grinder takes practice. It took me a while to learn the machine and how much pressure to use, ect. I also learned "the old fashioned way" by sharpening by hand for years and can still get a damn sharp chain, but from my experience in both worlds the grinder can do it faster and more consistent than by hand. There's a good reason all chainsaw shops use grinders!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsFire View Post
Like I stated above we sharpen chain on days when we aren't working outside which keeps my guys busy and plenty of sharp chain on deck. Just like sharpening by hand, sharpening with a grinder takes practice. It took me a while to learn the machine and how much pressure to use, ect. I also learned "the old fashioned way" by sharpening by hand for years and can still get a damn sharp chain, but from my experience in both worlds the grinder can do it faster and more consistent than by hand. There's a good reason all chainsaw shops use grinders!
You are right, there is a good reason why chainsaw shops use grinders. Because they are chainsaw SHOPS. Not guys that go out and run saws all day. They work on the saws. They know the motor and mechanics of the saw not the sharpening. Also most people that bring chains in to be sharpened are "home owners" and the chain is beyond filing. An old boss of mine ran a saw shop. His guys couldnt file a saw to save their life. Grinders are idiot proof. You are right they are consistant. If you get it right you are ok. If you mess it up... Buy a new chain. With a file you dont take a lot off all at once so corrections can be made.
You must get a lot of rain were you are we could keep enough chain around it hasn't rained here in quite a while.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Last Word

Maybe you need to go back and read Tree&Turfs post. He isn't asking what you think about filing chain. He's asking about grinders of which it seems you only have an opinion, not any sound advice.

(As Flying Squirrel seems to always insist on having the last word I'm going to keep posting replies until he gives up.)
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree&turf View Post
Thanks
Tree&turf:
I am sorry offering my opinion on this matter. I appologize if I was out of line.

For all others:
Thank you for straitening me out...