Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM

I have never used a grinder. Always sharpened by hand. Never timed myself but it really doesn't take that long.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Check out the April digital edition of Tree Services Magazine. Our Tools & Techniques column on Chainsaw Sharpening http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/article-6709.aspx as well as our product focus on chainsaws & tree shears http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/article-6707.aspx
Old 04-24-2011, 12:58 PM

I had my saw shop sharpen my 38" one time just because i was tired of hand sharpening it. I learned the hard way, It was un usuable and had to be thrown away and they gave me a new chain. so I always sharpen everything by hand, if you do it long enough you can do it very quickly. so imo ill take hand sharpening over automatic sharpeners any day.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Just cuz you had some bozo that didn't know how to run a sharpener doesn't make sharpeners bad. Same can be said for filing. I've had more than one hand filer ask how I get my chains to cut like they do with a sharpener. We don't need to get on a high horse one way or another, both work with the right people operating the tool. Steve
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlake View Post
Just cuz you had some bozo that didn't know how to run a sharpener doesn't make sharpeners bad. Same can be said for filing. I've had more than one hand filer ask how I get my chains to cut like they do with a sharpener. We don't need to get on a high horse one way or another, both work with the right people operating the tool. Steve
I agree with you 110%. I've seen some chit jobs, that people have done with a file, as well. Half the chain was filed, not one thing matched, from one tooth to the other, from side to side, and the rakes looked as if a rabbit was hopping along the top of the chain. I never seen such a mess, and told the guy, where the scrap bin was. Bruce.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM

anyone have luck with the ones that slide on chain and you fire it up and gas it?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM

What to look for

I sharpen with a hand file, but here are some things that I would look for if I were to bring my chains in to be sharpened.

Do you grind down the rakers? Most sharpening services don't, but it makes a world of difference in how the saw cuts. Offer this as part of your service, and you will keep customers!

Can you square file (or grind) chisel teeth? This requires a special grinder, but properly sharpened sqare-ground chisel tooth chains cut incredibly fast and smooth. Nobody around these parts has a clue how to do it right!

Can you replace damaged teeth? Hitting a rock or throwing a chain might destroy a couple of teeth. If a chain sharpening service could replace just those teeth so that I don't have to replace the entire chain, I'd be a loyal customer! The tool, by the way, is available from Baileys (no, I don't work for them).

Hope this helps... Good luck!