Register free!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 AM

Big tree uprooted

My in-laws had some storm damage to several very large trees in a fence line. The whole tree is on its side rootball and all. I would like to tackle this project from the most safe way possible. If it is beyond my capabilities I will leave it to the pros. Do you start from the top down, trunk...? It will be me and my saws possibly a front end loader and chains. I would say it is probably a 60 to 80 foot tree.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Do you have any pictures you could post to give us a better idea of what you are getting into?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 PM

No I do not, I thought as I posted this that that would be helpful. The tree is 3 hours away. I will take some pics next time I am there to give you a better perspective.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 PM

The only reason I asked was there are a couple different ways to begin.
Start At stump: You can cut the root ball off first thing but you have to worry about it flipping back into the hole, barber chairing the log and possibaly causing injury to you.
Limb it out: You can start at the base and limb the tree out then work back bucking the wood up. With this you need to worry about reaching the limbs if it is still in the air. Also if and when the stump falls back into the hole you might have 10-20 feet flip up (watch where the saw is, seen them fly).
With both watch for possible role in the tree. Many times with the stump still attached it stabalizes it a little. Hope this helps. Please if you get pics post them still it would be cool to see.