Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

need crash course in trimming lower limbs

hi guys,
i'm not a tree guy ..i'm from the lawn and snow sites but need tree help. i have 12 large pin oaks at my own house that need to be raised bad. i have called 3 tree companies but no one has called back so i want to try it my self. i have the stihl power pruner but it will only go about 16 feet high and i need to go way up just to get to the first ring of branches. i have a skid loader that can lift me to the first ring so i can get into the trees and i have a safety harness to tie in...what i don't know (because i haven't done it and never paid attention to tree guys) is after i trim up about 4 rows of branches how do you guys go about getting down the tree? are most of you using large extension ladders? or "shimmying" down the trunk? any help would be great ,
TIA,
steve
Ground Effects LLC
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM

we use spit tail or a blake hitch to repell from the tree if you never have done it practice first hope that helps
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM

What ever you do do be careful. I would try another company or two. It doesnt take long to go from saving a little money to dead. There have been two in the last month (professionals) get killed with in 100 miles of my home. Just simple errors.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

thanks !! i started but it's scary because i'm afraid of heights and don't understand the equipment needed...so far i have used the stihl pruner from the skid loader with a pallet on the forks as a platform but it's hard to go around the tree and is slightly damaging the turf , will try another tree company....don't advise trying this at home :nono: