Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM

advise on log splitters

I know Timberwolf is the only way to go but I cant afford a new one right now :cry: I looked at some used one and I cant see my self spending $2k less or so for beat up ones ( thats if they wanna sell them )

so I looked into troy-bilt 27ton at lowes with 3 year warranty on all parts labor pickup drop off etc for $1500 with a Honda engine

question is will it handle being used all day for month ? I plan on doing 6 or so cords a week by my self :)

can a troy-bilt stand the use ? anyone used them here commercially ?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I've never used one and it will probably last the month but how many seasons you'll get out of it? That's the question. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Oh not a month lool hell it better last more than one month

plan is to make the firewood income pay for a timberwolf tw-5 or 6 in a year at most so the troybilt would need to hold up for a year or so
Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Have you checked out the smaller Timberwolfs? The TW1 or 2? I don't know how different the pricing is between those and the Troy-bilt you're looking at but I'm sure it would hold out longer and Timberwolf is much more reliable warranty wise. Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 PM

the tw2 hd is 4200 + log lift + 4 way splitter which is almost 4 times as much as a troybilt
Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 PM

I ended up buying the Troy bilt and I am impressed with the way its made and the power it have only thing they should have done better is add a much bigger fuel tank to that 160cc honda engine

nothing stopped in its way so far
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Hey, good to hear your happy with it except for the constant fill ups.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson Frank View Post
Hey, good to hear your happy with it except for the constant fill ups.
it takes a bit longer than an hour to empty the tank which gives me a good break :D
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Sounds like it's working well for you. Have you had any of the severe storms/tree damage in NJ the past few weeks?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM

How many cords a year do you plan to split? I swapped some lumber off my mill for a home-made hydraulic splitter. I put on a new engine and a 2-stage hydraulic pump, and it will outlast me. If I were going to purchase new, I'd look real seriously at the Super Split. It uses a flywheel, no hydraulics. Very elegant design, very fast, and they've got a good reputation for durability (no, I don't work for them).