Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Cause- burned out stihl's

I burned out a stihl ms 200 recently , and the saw shop says its the ethenol
in the gas, causing them to run very hot ,I just lost an ms 280. looking at the plug - same thing I think. The shop says he has 15 broken saws from the same cause

input would be appreciated -thanks John Rochester
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Just some tid bits of my thoughts and experieance .
Ethanol IS detrimental to chainsaws
*Mix your oil a little richer for more lube and cooling effect.*
Always shake the saw and gas can before use so gas and ethanol is mixed good.
If small engine has sat for more that 60 days dont shake , just dump out and start with fresh gas.
One of the problems with ethanol is it seperates from the gas over time. The gas companies are suppose to be mixing in 10% or less. But if you happen to get gas on Monday morning at a store thats closed sunday you could be getting 20-30% depending on how much seperated over a days time and where there pick up screen is located in there tank.
Keep a tight cap on your gas cans , ethanol can absorb water right out of the air.
In Maine here a rep. tried passing a bill requiring all stations to have one pump of straight gas. Bill got shot down.

Good luck, doug
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM

I'm new to this site, and I like what I see thus far. I mix my gas/oil mix at 40:1. All of my chain saws, except one, calls for 40:1, the other is at 50:1.
I also mix my gas/oil mix, for a 2 gallon mix, with 1 gallon, and 9/10s, of the second one.
My Great Uncle did some research on gas, and fuels 30 some odd years ago, and that is what he found, worked the best, for the chain saws that he had back then.
I was taught that by my Dad, and I havent changed anything other using 93%Octane gas, with Synthetic oil blend, instead of Stihl Premium oil, with 87% Octane
Sure that the gas has changed a lot since then, but I think it is stating to go the other direction, again. Bruce.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM

I spoke to my Husky dealer about a year ago about a saw that had a scored cylinder and he said that it was because of ethenol. I went back to work and spoke to our equipment guys and found out that when we buy gas (bulk) it is a non-ethenol fuel. So the dealer was full of it. I dont believe the ethenol theory. I think the saw companies are cheapening there saws and leaning them out due to EPA reg, and taking the adjustments off of them so you cant fix a lean running saw and then we just blow them up. I have (personally) a couple newer and a couple older huskies, and I run what ever comes out of that 93 oct nozzle at the gas station, with high quality mixing oil (Husky not the stuff that comes in quarts) and I dont have any probs. As soon as a saw starts running too lean I fix it right there.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
I spoke to my Husky dealer about a year ago about a saw that had a scored cylinder and he said that it was because of ethenol. I went back to work and spoke to our equipment guys and found out that when we buy gas (bulk) it is a non-ethenol fuel. So the dealer was full of it. I dont believe the ethenol theory. I think the saw companies are cheapening there saws and leaning them out due to EPA reg, and taking the adjustments off of them so you cant fix a lean running saw and then we just blow them up. I have (personally) a couple newer and a couple older huskies, and I run what ever comes out of that 93 oct nozzle at the gas station, with high quality mixing oil (Husky not the stuff that comes in quarts) and I dont have any probs. As soon as a saw starts running too lean I fix it right there.
I agree - I think the ethanol is not the problem here, but the darn saws being set too lean from the factory.... I have never seized a motor yet now scoured a piston (knock on wood) but I always keep my air filter in good shape, run fresh mix and adjust the carb to where I know it is running right - usually not the factory setting in my experience...
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Burnt up saw.

What kind of 2-cycle oil are you using? They aren't all the same! The standard type you buy at Waremart such as Pennzoil, Havoline, Valvoline, etc. are notorious for burning up chainsaws: I have seen a lot of them burned up. Mixing the oil richer than the saw makers specs is also harmful. If they say 50 to 1, than go with that. We have used about 3,000 gallons of gasoline mixed with Echo oil in our Stihl chainsaws, and only burnt up one saw when I screwed up and mixed the mix at 100 to 1 (oops). Husky oil stinks when burnt in a saw, and I dislike it for that reason. My favorite saw is a Stihl 046 that has over 3000 hours on it and runs like new. The main bearings have been replaced twice, but everything else is original, and it has run only Echo oil.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 PM

My Klotz super tech and original tech 100 and 200 stays mixed alcohol. The R-50 Klotz is not recommended for anything over 10% ethanol and the tech says he still dont suggest it, but people run it anyways. Their saws their money.
Plus I run at 32:1 and never over 40:1. I still believe 50:1 epa BS and ethanol is the combination killer.
Look at a 372 that has been run at 50:1 for any period of time and see the non-existent of lube on the big end crank bearing.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 AM

When switching from good gas to ethonal you carb will need to be adjusted a little richer, most times more than what the limiter caps will allow. Steve
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM

if you add some marvel mystery oil into your gas mix it fill fix the problems. it helps the damage the ethenol makes,lubes thinks up. I run it in everything, my diesel trucks,gas engines,saws,etc. you can call the # on the back of the bottle and ask the manufacture how much to mix. hope this helps,Erik