Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM

bidding tree jobs using google earth

my boss sent me to a pruning job an hour away from our shop it was a fifety year old silver maple that the home owner planted herself. she loved the tree but wanted some limbs trimmed of the powerlines, cable and phone lines. It was suppposed to be a fairley quick job but when I got there it was a little more involved than that. After I got done the homeowner was very pleased and got 3 more jobs in the neighborhood. When I asked who came to look at the tree to give a quote she said nobody your boss just looked at it on google earth. Im sorry, but you cant see in the tree canopy on GE you cant see the power,phone, cable lines on GE or anything else about the tree except its a big tree. would anybody else bid a treejob this way?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 PM

I would never do that to myself let alone to a climber working for me. I have however looked at trees on Google Earth to confirm for people which tree I need to look at. The only way to make a qualified bid is to get right up on the tree and hug it, also go all the way around it, get a real good lookat it...:)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM

i surpose it could give you an idear of the size and stuff
Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 PM

GE is only good for looking at the size of a job (i.e. acreage)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Is google earth that good and accurate for checking out trees? Wow..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOD View Post
I would never do that to myself let alone to a climber working for me. I have however looked at trees on Google Earth to confirm for people which tree I need to look at. The only way to make a qualified bid is to get right up on the tree and hug it, also go all the way around it, get a real good lookat it...:)
I use google earth for everything, but not trees!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 AM

I think Bing map's birds-eye view is better then Google earth, but still, I'd never quote off of just a map. Maps are for when you get lost.